Kernel_Killer
December 29th, 2004, 08:02
Well I did the upgrade to 5.3, and now I can't get my built-in sound card to work. It's some VIA chipset built-in sound. In 4.10 'device pcm' did it, but in 5.3 device sound isn't cutting it. I tried kldloading snd_sbc, and snd_emu10k1, but no luck.

bsdjunkie
December 29th, 2004, 10:10
I always use kldload snd_driver. One of those has to work =)

bmw
December 29th, 2004, 10:42
What does dmesg say you have?

I always dread trying to get sound working on yet another hunk of Intel hardware. I end up Googling for a few hours, finding that patches exist for a Linux kernel, doc-diving the manufacturers site, grep'ing the kernel sources and discovering that I need to add a string to the PCI recognition codes, because although it's exactly the same as a Frobozzco Ultra-Whizzy Mk II, this one's a Mk IIa so they changed the PCI code from 0xdeadbeef to 0x00c0ffee.

Strog
December 29th, 2004, 11:49
Mmmm 0x00c0ffee

The stupid sound card on my Intel P4 motherboard pushed me into running NetBSD CURRENT to get it to work. I enjoyed my time on CURRENT with that box but I hate being forced into it or hacking up some patches for a release.

molotov
December 29th, 2004, 15:32
I think device pcm is deprecated in favor of device snd. Man sound should have the required info...

Kernel_Killer
December 29th, 2004, 16:45
Well, I did a "kldload snd_driver" and it seemed to work. It noticed the sound card as pcm0, and then locks.

soup4you2
December 29th, 2004, 20:45
i did this to detemine which i had..

cd /boot/kernel/modules

for ls in snd_*
do
echo $ls
kldload $ls
xmms some.playlist
sleep 5
kldunload $ls
done

that should help in finding the right module you need..

Kernel_Killer
December 29th, 2004, 21:14
Looks like I lack the module dir. Guess that could be an issue.

bmw
December 29th, 2004, 21:23
What about just /boot/kernel/snd* ?

Kernel_Killer
December 29th, 2004, 22:09
aha! I bet this snd_cmi will work. Thanx bmw!

draconius
December 31st, 2004, 00:43
Have you tried using the latest OSS sound drivers? I just got a brand new chaintech av-710 and it wouldnt work at all with fbsd 5.3, no drivers would attach....
check out http://www.opensound.com/oss.html

It worked for me, they support my soundcard which is brand new....and its free too...you only have to buy a license if you are using it for professional stuff or something like that...