GhostDawg
January 15th, 2005, 19:45
Well I have some problems with an earlier install and thinking of reinstalling fresh again.

A few questions I would like to know, about the best way to install.

1. When I install BSD 5.3 and use the FTP media, is it the current version?

2. Do I still need to do a source & ports upgrade?

3. If I do source & ports upgrade, is it best to do it before installing any applications & programs?

I just want to do this the right way and have the latest software with less problems.

Thnx.

bmw
January 15th, 2005, 23:11
1. When I install BSD 5.3 and use the FTP media, is it the current version?
It's the latest release version: 5.3-RELEASE. That's the one that has gone through a QA cycle, and been committed to CD ISO images.

2. Do I still need to do a source & ports upgrade?
If you want a stable platform, but with the latest ports, then you need to setup a regular cvsup and portupgrade process. If you want to run the very latest kernel and userland stuff, then you need to get the latest sources from CVS, do a buildworld and run that too.

3. If I do source & ports upgrade, is it best to do it before installing any applications & programs?
That depends on how you define "best"!

You need to step back and ask yourself what your intention is with this project: do you want to tinker with FreeBSD itself, ie develop FreeBSD, port it to new cutting-edge hardware, hack the kernel guts to help the developers; or do you really want to setup a box that you can install and run apps on, serve webpages, etc.?

What most people need (IMHO) is a stable FreeBSD platform that can host their apps and desktop. Even more emphasis on stable if this is to be a server. For that goal, install FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, then start installing apps from ports, packages, etc. Setup the cvsup and portsupgrade stuff then do a regular run of cvsup and if you need to upgrade a port or package, run portupgrade. That will automaticaly update needed ports that your port depends on (libraries, etc.).

Very few people really need the very latest development version of FreeBSD. Obviously the FreeBSD developers do! Hardware manufacturers getting device drivers going for their h/w do; hardcore hackers might. All these people are willing to accept that the system might not work one day because the previous night's CVS-update inserted changes that just don't work, are incompatible with some devices, etc.

People who are trying to get recently-supported hardware going (eg Bluetooth, WiFi, the latest ethernet adapters) would possibly need a recent -STABLE snap. That requires installing the latest -RELEASE, then cvsup'ing the freebsd/ CVS tree using the proper -STABLE tag, running buildworld and rebooting. It's a fairly long process and a few SE members around here can tell you all about it.

I'm a developer who works primarily on FreeBSD. I've been working with it for 5 years. Before that I spent 5 years working with OpenBSD and NetBSD. In all that time, I have not once run off of the unstable latest sources! I have not even had the pleasure of running from my own buildworld-created system. Yet I have hacked kernel code, drivers and userland stuff. I run several FreeBSD servers around my home and the office. Some run 5.2, 4.10, 4.9, 4.7. I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. :-)

I tell you all this just to illustrate that if you don't know why you are trying to get "the latest sources", you probably don't need 'em. You'll have a much easier time of it and benefit from an excellent cutting-edge OS if you just do what I do: install the latest -RELEASE, add ports to taste, and enjoy!

GhostDawg
January 16th, 2005, 01:27
Thank you for the very informative overview. I'm now much more clearer on what I need to do.

"What most people need (IMHO) is a stable FreeBSD platform that can host their apps and desktop. Even more emphasis on stable if this is to be a server. For that goal, install FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, then start installing apps from ports, packages, etc. Setup the cvsup and portsupgrade stuff then do a regular run of cvsup and if you need to upgrade a port or package, run portupgrade. That will automaticaly update needed ports that your port depends on (libraries, etc.)."

I will follow the above examples. I just want a stable desktop to learn more about FBSD and maybe later add server software as my needs change.

Thnx. again!