bmk1st
January 18th, 2005, 14:44
Hi,

I wonder if anybody else have tried this in 3.6? I checked pkgsrc doc on netbsd.org and it only mentioned being tested on 3.0 and 3.2 the link (http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/platforms.html#id2535671). Also, is it worth to have pkgsrc on OpenBSD? I know it's not officially supported by OpenBSD, but I like some packages that pkgsrc got.

Strog
January 19th, 2005, 10:53
I've seen some posts regarding using pkgsrc on recent openbsd releases on the pkgsrc mailing lists. Mostly bug fixes and the odd problem from time to time. I've been meaning to try this out since OpenBSD is so stable but sometimes ports don't have everything I want or have an older version. I really like pkgsrc on NetBSD and have played with it on Irix, Linux and OS X too. I've been meaning to trying it on OpenBSD too. Maybe I'll try in on my old imac running OpenBSD 3.6 macppc.

You really have to like how well it does with cross-platforms. There's things I really like about each BSD's pkgsrc/ports and it would be nice if they could all combine the best qualities of each into a unified build/package system. That's not likely to happen but at least you have some options. I see Portage is also available for OpenBSD too but the number of packages available were practically non-existent last I checked (a while ago now).

bmk1st
January 20th, 2005, 14:38
I see Portage is also available for OpenBSD too but the number of packages available were practically non-existent last I checked (a while ago now).
Portage? Do you mean Gentoo's portage? If that's true then I'm surprised. I always thought portage won't work on OpenBSD because of conflicts with base system (perl, libs, etc). Gentoo's portage tends to stay current, usually far ahead of OpenBSD's ports and packages.

Strog
January 21st, 2005, 10:09
Looks like packages.gentoo.org has dropped the listings for for Portage/FreeBSD and Portage/OpenBSD. I know they were working with FreeBSD 5.1 and OpenBSD 3.4 but apparently it lost steam after that.

bmk1st
February 15th, 2005, 10:38
I just found this site, GentooFbsd (http://gentoo-bsd.grantgoodyear.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/InstallingGentooFbsd)
I don't know if it's good for FreeBSD or other *BSD. I just posted this if anybody's interested to have Gentoo's portage on their machines.