GhostDawg
January 29th, 2005, 07:52
I seem to be having problems setting my screen resolution to 1024x768. It is set with a smaller resolution.

Does anybody know how to set this? Or there different ways to set it? Is there a graphical screen resolution program I can use with Xfce4?

I tried adding it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but it doesn't keep it when I startx.

Currently I'm using XFCE4 with a generic ATI Radeon 7200 video card with 32mb of ram.

thnx.

Strog
January 29th, 2005, 12:47
I always do an X -configure and copy the file into place. I add my DefaultDepth and it's always a nice high resolution. I just setup 5.3 on a Dell laptop and it was only running 640x480 with this method until I loaded the nvidia driver from ports. Make sure you are loading the right driver for your card if you are doing the manually

GhostDawg
January 30th, 2005, 00:07
Thnx for the reply, but I didn't quite mean I can't use 1024x768, which I can.

But the problem with using it is, it has a screen with a smaller box size in the complete window area and alot of black space surrounding the 1024x768 X-window screen.

Is there a way I can have the xwindow screen cover the full monitor view?

Thnx.

Strog
January 30th, 2005, 22:26
Would this happen to be an LCD screen you are using? A lot of LCD screens will only go full screen at their native resolution (the highest supported setting)

GhostDawg
January 31st, 2005, 00:11
No, it's a HP CRT. It configured for the native res. without problems but the fonts are kinda small for my old eyes.

If I'm using a Term window, the fonts are real small, but using say, Mozilla, the fonts are not too bad. I guess I can live with it.

Thnx.

Strog
January 31st, 2005, 11:08
You can increase the font size on your term. Check the man page for your terminal emulator of choice.

You can also use control-wheel to change the font size in your browser if you have a wheel mouse. Most webpages look fine to me but sometimes there's a page that seems to small. I love being able to crank the text size up a notch or two on tiny text.

GhostDawg
February 24th, 2005, 12:09
***Update***
Since this thread, I've purchased a nice 15" LCD display, Northgate model and not bad for a cheap price.

Anyway, now when I log into FBSD, my whole screen view is huge. I've tried reconfiguring using Xorg -configure but then it doesn't display nothing.

Any ideas/suggestions? Everything else is the same except for the monitor.

Atlas
February 24th, 2005, 14:21
What is the "native" resolution of the new LCD that you've purchased? It should be written on the box or on the spec sheet somewhere.

GhostDawg
February 24th, 2005, 20:17
1024x768, and I'm using an ATI Radeon 7200 agp video card.

GhostDawg
April 10th, 2005, 02:43
***Update***
Since this thread, I've purchased a nice 15" LCD display, Northgate model and not bad for a cheap price.

Anyway, now when I log into FBSD, my whole screen view is huge. I've tried reconfiguring using Xorg -configure but then it doesn't display nothing.

Any ideas/suggestions? Everything else is the same except for the monitor.
any other suggestions about this problem? I still can't seem to get it fixed. Even though lately, I've been playing with my Mini...

Thnx.

bumbler
April 22nd, 2005, 13:53
Do you know how to calculate your screen pixel size manually? Having learned that, I use it on everything. I posted some simple instructions on this page, just scroll down to the bottom: Font Fight (http://ed.asisaid.com/fontfight.html). It's not just a matter of correcting the fonts display, but helps to make the display fit the hardware more cleanly.