elmore
January 6th, 2003, 01:33
So off of vlad's feedback, what does everyone think.

If you'd like to see a new front page and you vote yes, please post a response letting everyone know what you'd like to see on the front page.

v902
January 6th, 2003, 01:56
You might want to read http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=209 for some opinions which you might not have thought of, or didn't have the brain capacity to think of :lol:

Kernel_Killer
January 6th, 2003, 02:27
I personally like how the page is setup. IMO, it just needs a bit more *oomph*. I have to say the pic drives me crazy until I get into the forum where it looks great! Maybe some button GIFs for the BBS/FAQ/Mirrors ?

There are a lot of options to add to the front page, but finding something to keep it from looking like another site is hard to do.

schotty
January 6th, 2003, 21:32
I voted no.

We do not NEED one. Would a new one be nice? Yeah, really nice. I just don't see a NEED. The forum is where its at.

elmore
January 7th, 2003, 00:25
well then should the forum be the front page?

Kernel_Killer
January 7th, 2003, 04:26
I gotta agree with schotty. We don't NEED a front page. It does build character though.

KrUsTy!
January 8th, 2003, 01:42
I voted no, I don't think we need one, but perhaps combined with a new logo comming out of the logo contest it might be an opportunity to do something with a bit more info.

Say something about the board then the link out to it, also providing a place where elmore can put up other stuff that he would want at screamingelectron then just have it go to the forum main page. Perhaps just more an explanation on the front page.

Okay so I guess I should have voted "Maybe".... :D

{K}

jedaffra
January 9th, 2003, 12:11
Please keep in mind that this is my two cents, don't take it for anything more than what it is.

From my perspective, the main focus of the domain name screamingelectron.org is the BSD bulletin board. Period.

(1.) When someone types in www.screamingelectron.org, I believe they should be taken here - not where they currently end up - which in my opinion, is a splash page with a pixelated graphic and a few links (no offense to anyone - the bulletin board rocks :D ).

(2.) The SE main graphic needs a make-over and I'm definately not above creating a few and submitting them (if the elmore and the gang so approve) for review. From what I've read, a new graphic could be a touch smaller in height. I also feel the graphic should in some way incorporate the new slogan "Charged particles of *BSD goodness!" This move would eliminate the duplication of having the "Screaming Electron.org" graphic on the upper left hand side of the page and the "Screaming Electron.org" text and slogan on the upper right hand side of the page.

(3.) As for the general look and feel of the bulletin board, I think what we have looks great - buttons included. It's very easy on the eyes and has a somewhat calming effect (hope that's what you were after!)

I'm generally not opinionated :wink:

elmore
January 9th, 2003, 16:09
Well I think that's a good idea, did you see the current contest Jedaffra?

jedaffra
January 10th, 2003, 12:44
Well I think that's a good idea, did you see the current contest Jedaffra?

Five minutes after my post I found the contest. D'oh! :oops:

Thanks... I think I'll get to work on that logo now...

elmore
January 13th, 2003, 22:20
Well according to the poll this issue seems to be deadlocked, however the comments lean towards a new front page. What about just making the forums the new front page?

v902
January 13th, 2003, 22:45
Probably would be best as the point of the screaming electron (as I think) is to provide help in *BSD issues meaning the forum.

frisco
January 13th, 2003, 22:45
Well according to the poll this issue seems to be deadlocked

if i werent so lazy i'd create ten more accounts and decisively settle the vote! but im so forgetful and flippant that i'd probably end up voting different each time...

jedaffra
January 15th, 2003, 12:30
What about just making the forums the new front page?

IMO I think that is the way to go. Keeps it simple for word of mouth referrals et al. :wink: