tarballed
February 9th, 2005, 13:35
Hey everyone. Just wanted to get some suggestions on some tools to help manage a network. Let me explain a bit more:

Our network is continuing to grow. It now encompasses 4 floors (not full, but will be eventually). We are currently hiring employees at a pretty good clip and its keeping me busy.

Now, the whole network backbone is another beast that I am working on. I'll start a thread on that when the time comes.

For now though, all our IP addresses are assigned via static. With that, i've been keeping a list of IP addresses being assigned and what i have available. As one could guess, I need something better.

Just wanted to know what people suggested as tools to use so I can better manage my network. Something to keep track of IP addresses used ,not used etc. Other goodies are good as well.

Been meaning to do this, just been buried in work lately.

Anyone have any recommendations?
I appreciate it.

Tarballed

elmore
February 9th, 2005, 14:49
Why, for heavens sake, aren't you using dhcp for clients?

tarballed
February 9th, 2005, 14:53
Why, for heavens sake, aren't you using dhcp for clients?

Complicated and it involves politics. :frown:

elmore
February 9th, 2005, 15:37
what's policical about assigning IP addresses. Jeez man you can do static reserve (so the person always gets the same lease). There's whole host of other things as well. These days there just isn't a reason to do almost everything via dhcp.

BTW for IP tracking I just use a master hostfile in /etc/hosts on the head DNS server and an excel spreadsheet.

Amicus
February 9th, 2005, 15:49
Same for me at work. Excel sheet to track and static mappings. New PC's on the network will get an IP and have network access and the guys that want a specific IP will have it because it's reserved. Works out well.

tarballed
February 9th, 2005, 15:58
what's policical about assigning IP addresses. Jeez man you can do static reserve (so the person always gets the same lease). There's whole host of other things as well. These days there just isn't a reason to do almost everything via dhcp.

BTW for IP tracking I just use a master hostfile in /etc/hosts on the head DNS server and an excel spreadsheet.

Out of my hands. Believe me, its frustrating but what am I to do. I am just a hired hand :)

Excel seems to be the front runner here.

Dougal
February 11th, 2005, 11:55
DHCP with static leases plus a small pool of free dhcp address for occasional printers/laptops. Excel holds the master list.

Kernel_Killer
February 12th, 2005, 05:04
What I usually do for our clients is set a 10 - 20 IP block for statics (servers, printers, faxes, IP Phones, etc) and then run a domain server to track the hosts coming in one DHCP. Static leases are good, just a bit of a pain when you have to setup a domain controller to watch the hostnames anyways.