byron
March 1st, 2005, 15:24
I've recently acquired a laptop capable of displaying in 1400x1050 resolution, which is great. It looks really good on the laptop LCD. However I have a docking station that is connected to an LCD monitor only capable of displaying 1280x1024. I was wondering how to configure X.org to use the correct display settings on each of the two displays. I don't want both displays active at the same time 'ala xinerama.' I just want X to choose the right display at start time. Googling has not produced any real helpful info. I was wondering if anyone might have done this or would know of a good resource for this info.

Any help is appreciated.

byron

bumbler
March 1st, 2005, 18:14
The only solution I am aware of is resetting your X config file by hand. I did that for awhile on my laptop, switching when I wanted to plug it into my big CRT. I made two separate config files, and added a prefix to the one I wasn't using at the time. When I switched between modes, I would simply rename them both. A more complicated trick is to have configured two different screens, and invoke X to choose one or the other, but you'd have to study man X.org and related material for awhile to understand it. However, it is simpler to use if you get your .xinitrc setup to handle it.

molotov
March 1st, 2005, 18:53
Hmmm, maybe a bit easier

Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"

Is my setup, and when needed I can change between modes with cntrl+alt+numpad +/-
Just change your resolution that way before docking? All I can think of, hope it helps somehow.

byron
March 2nd, 2005, 14:24
Thanks for the replies and good ideas. I was hoping that X could detect the monitor and use the correct screen settings based on that info. I'll just work with what I've got.

elmore
March 2nd, 2005, 15:22
you can add multiple monitor sections in the X.org conf file. One for your lcd and one for your CRT.

With appropriate modelines for each. It should autodetect. I've done this before with XFree86, and I assume X.org will work the same way.