bumbler
March 11th, 2005, 11:55
I'm still working on the Console Desktop project. One thing that puzzles me is while FreeBSD has a superior console mouse driver to Linux for most uses, it's inferior with applications. In the Linux framebuffer, when the mouse works, it works for things like mc and elinks. Not so in FreeBSD's console.

Is this something architectural, or is there a switch I can add at compile time to either kernel and/or apps?

bumbler

socomm
March 11th, 2005, 19:46
As far as I know, the apps you just mentioned were designed with GPM in mind. Anything else was an after thought, or a patch by the port maintainer.

bumbler
March 12th, 2005, 09:14
Ah, architecture specific. I was afraid of that. In my ignorance I wondered if there was a way to bridge the gap, but didn't think about gpm at all. I'm still hoping there is some way to patch that in for us. Not gpm, but a way for apps to grab mouse clicks on the console.

socomm
March 12th, 2005, 16:31
I'm still hoping there is some way to patch that in for us. Not gpm, but a way for apps to grab mouse clicks on the console.
I'm sure if you try hard enough you can get moused (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?moused) to emulate GPM's behaviour.