Kliman01
March 15th, 2005, 11:45
I'm relatively new to the OpenBSD (and *nix for that matter) scene, so my research resources are probably more limited than most...but I'm stumped by a repeating problem trying to use the GENERIC.MP kernel on two different Compaq Proliant servers...a 5500 quad-xeon 400, and an ML530 dual xeon 800. Both boot and run perfectly under the standard GENERIC kernel, but when I switch to the GENERIC.MP, they will both hang at "mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support".

I've tried to recompile my own kernel twice...once with a few things removed, and once just as a straight "GENERIC" compile...both with the same results. I hesitate to think that it's any other hardware, as both systems will run the GENERIC kernel just fine.

Is there some bugs in that MP kernel that I just haven't found to read about, or am I doing something wrong?

Kliman01
March 15th, 2005, 19:30
Interestingly enough, it turned out to be the Smart Array 221 I was using. I changed to a Smart Array 431 and it's fine now.

Kliman01
April 24th, 2005, 13:17
Further to that previous set of posts...it wasn't even the RAID card, it was the slot the raid card was plugged in to. Stupid Compaq.