thoffland
June 20th, 2005, 01:56
So I'm having some issues that I can't figure out:

I've loaded 5.4 on this machine after enjoying 4.11 on my 200mhz pc that was donated as a guinea pig from a friend. I'm hooked, but having trouble. Now I have 3 hard drives installed. One with Windows, 1 FreeBSD 5.4 and one with files for my Windows programs. I'm using Gnome2 as a windows manager, but also have KDE and FluxBox ready too... if that says anything.

I know that I can read some of the files, because when I look on the network on other pcs in my house, I can open them. I just cant figure out how to mount this other drive with the files on it.

I also cant seem to mount my CDrom drive... i've tried the cd9660 thing, but no luck.

I have a 5.1 speaker system on a USB port... and I cannot get it to work using kldload snd_driver I know there's something else I should be doing, but I cant find anything to guide me. I also found a kldload snd_usbdriver (or something similar.. this was a week ago) but that also did not work.

I've only been at this for about 2 months now, so I'm really trying to learn, but what I'm finding doesn't seem to be working. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks in advance!

PS: what does "incorrect superblock" mean?

Atlas
June 20th, 2005, 08:46
Incorrect superblock means that mount is expecting a different type of filesystem than what is on the drive. If the drive is NTFS, then you will want to consider copying the data off and repartitioning it as FAT32 prior to trying to do read/write on a FreeBSD system. If all you want is to read from the drive under FreeBSD, mount it like this (if it's NTFS):

#mount -t ntfs /dev/hdXs1 /mnt/drive

You can replace hdXs1 with whatever the correct drive designation is and what the partition (slice) is. /mnt/drive can be wherever you want the drive to be mounted on the local system.
If the drive is FAT, try this:

#mount -t msdosfs /dev/hdXs1 /mnt/drive

molotov
June 20th, 2005, 14:18
I think freebsd has cdrom in the fstab by default, try

mount /mnt/cdrom

if that dosnt work try

mount -t cd9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Kernel_Killer
June 20th, 2005, 14:49
In FreeBSD you first have to be root to mount it, and then mount with:

mount /dev/acd0 (if in /etc/fstab)

or:

mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

Some older FreeBSD versions used acd0c, so you might want to check your /etc/fstab to see what it's set as.

thoffland
June 24th, 2005, 05:36
Thanks for the tip, but I've no luck on either of them.

When I look at my drives on Windows using Partiion Magic, it says that the Windows drive and the Files drive are bad... and wont let me do anything with them except format them, which, I obviously dont want to do yet. Maybe this is the problem. Strange that they would be "bad" since they're both working fine with Windows.

Thanks again, I'll keep plugging away.

thoffland
June 24th, 2005, 05:39
Thanks, I still couldn't get it to work with either of the tips you guys gave me for the CDRom. You guys think I have to rebuild the kernel? It does recognize them... I've checked the dmesg and it's in there as adc0. Not sure what to do here...

In FreeBSD you first have to be root to mount it, and then mount with:

mount /dev/acd0 (if in /etc/fstab)

or:

mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

Some older FreeBSD versions used acd0c, so you might want to check your /etc/fstab to see what it's set as.

Kernel_Killer
June 24th, 2005, 07:32
Make sure you are logged in as root, and run those commands. If you can't get them mounted then, post the errors so we can diagnose the problem.

optyk
June 24th, 2005, 19:25
On my FreeBSD 5.4 box in my /etc/fstab:
/dev/acd0 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
To mount a data cd, I type
# mount /cdrom
There is no need to mount a music cd.

For mounting filesystems the format is
# mount [option(s)] <filesystem> <mountpoint>
where <filesystem> is the /dev entry you want to mount(i.e. /dev/acd0) and <mountpoint> is the directory you want to be able to read your data(i.e. /mnt/cdrom, it has to be a directory that exists). [option(s)] is a fairly long list, but easy enough to grok from the manpage. As long as you know your filesystem type and your kernel understands said type you should be able to get it mounted.

Looking through the GENERIC config, I don't see an option for NTFS as listed in /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES. You seem to be headed in the right direction.