elmore
January 23rd, 2003, 14:43
Hey here's a couple of good articles soup4you2 wrote, over on his webpage. I have posted links over to his site. Check them out they're a good read. If you haven't stopped by bsdhound.com yet, check it out.

http://68.100.251.154:81/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=44&mode=&or der=0&thold=0

http://68.100.251.154:81/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=51&mode=&or der=0&thold=0

soup4you2
January 23rd, 2003, 15:23
:D

Strog
January 24th, 2003, 11:12
You forgot the last step in securing any box to make it hack-proof.

Reach around behind the computer and disconnect your cat5 cable. It looks like a fat phone cord. Alternately you can just cut the cable off with scissors, side cutters or any other tool of your preference.

If you are still worried about being hacked then you can go to the command line and type /sbin/shutdown -h now as root. This should give you a completely unhackable box. Now still back and stare at the blank screen and enjoy. :roll:

soup4you2:
Nice website and a good writeup. It's good to see another good BSD site out there. I see you used Hexley for your logo. Does that mean this site is Darwin-centric or you just liked the logo?

Thanks for pointing us to a cool site, elmore.

soup4you2
January 24th, 2003, 13:35
soup4you2:
Nice website and a good writeup. It's good to see another good BSD site out there. I see you used Hexley for your logo. Does that mean this site is Darwin-centric or you just liked the logo?

Thanks for pointing us to a cool site, elmore.

I picked Hexley because i liked the logo.. plus having 2 Mac's at the house helped me pick that one.. But for the most part it's a temporary logo until i can make up a nice one.. *or get somebody to do it for me* hehe. Glad you liked the site i'm trying to cover more than just freebsd... but since it's new i dont have much content on darwin yet..

frisco
January 24th, 2003, 15:02
You forgot the last step in securing any box to make it hack-proof.

Reach around behind the computer and disconnect your cat5 cable. It looks like a fat phone cord. Alternately you can just cut the cable off with scissors, side cutters or any other tool of your preference.

If you are still worried about being hacked then you can go to the command line and type /sbin/shutdown -h now as root. This should give you a completely unhackable box. Now still back and stare at the blank screen and enjoy. :roll:

still vulnerable to tempest and physical security attacks. build a faraday cage and hire a platoon of mercenaries.

elmore
January 24th, 2003, 15:15
LOL

Strog
January 24th, 2003, 17:38
still vulnerable to tempest and physical security attacks. build a faraday cage and hire a platoon of mercenaries.

True, a faraday cage would stop lightning and a hacker with a tesla coil.

In every movie I've ever seen, one ninja can take out a platoon of mercenaries unless Arnold Schwarzenegger is part of it. So it looks this system will be vunerable to ninja(s) until you can call up Arnold Schwarzenegger and get that security hole patched.

soup4you2
January 24th, 2003, 17:49
Hiring a Group of mercenaries, ninjas and a flock of sea gulls is not cost effective.. the cheapest route to take is a 3 inch puddle of water sorounding the server and apply 400 hertz electricity to it..

It's almost like French Kissing a light socket..

v902
January 24th, 2003, 17:53
hm... But then the flying animals can get to it, I would go for that and a anti-jet missile system to keep the birds away. But the ninjas could probably bypass this.... hm...

Strog
January 25th, 2003, 02:25
soup4you2:
Your plan is foiled thanks to the faraday cage. Here's a decent page talking about it. Google for for more. That's why I said a tesla coil wouldn't hurt it.

http://www.boltlightningprotection.com/Elemental_Faraday_Cage.htm

soup4you2
January 25th, 2003, 14:04
hehehe not bad... but would the best option still be to refraim getting off my ass and going to the store to purchase a pc? no computers would be the best security of all.. then all you have to worry about are condoms..

schotty
January 25th, 2003, 14:44
soup4you2:
Your plan is foiled thanks to the faraday cage. Here's a decent page talking about it. Google for for more. That's why I said a tesla coil wouldn't hurt it.

http://www.boltlightningprotection.com/Elemental_Faraday_Cage.htm

theres a rather inexpensive tesla coil I have seen for sale that can kill anything that comes within 18 feet of the sucker. I calculated that if I bought that for my apartment, I could place it in there so just by entering the door you are dead, and anythning alive inside is dead too. Including me, turning it on ;D