Dragon12
July 29th, 2005, 18:26
I installed FreeBSD 5.4 on a Dell CP. Everything worked fine the first time but when I tried to install Firefox from the ports it caused serious problems and I choose to wipe the drive and start again.

When I did a "make install clean" in the /usr/ports/x11/kde3 dir it started to ( I guess ) install. I started this about 4:30pm thursday and it still "installing". What I see on the screen is a long "if" statement, something along the lines of if /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=complie --tag=CXX c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H and so on untill a filename with a .cpp is at the end. Followed by a "then mv -f "somefilename.Tpo" "somefilename/filename.Plo"; else rm-f ""somefilename.Tpo"; exit 1; fi.

This didn't happen the first time I got KDE to run on this thing, so does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Should I let it continue?:Eyecrazy:

fi

socomm
July 29th, 2005, 22:30
Have you thought about installing KDE's binary package instead of installing from source? If you do not know how to do this simply run `pkg_add -r kde', I believe that will install the KDE meta package. If you downloaded the first two installation CD's you might want to install it from the second disk rather than downloading the whole package from the net.

Good luck.

Dragon12
July 29th, 2005, 23:34
Thanks for the reply.
O.k. pkg_add got the software from FreeBSD.org's ftp site. Do I do the "make install clean" in the /usr/ports/x11/kde3 dir?

When I installed KDE the 1st time on this thing I did the "make install clean" (as stated in the FreeBSD handbook http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html) in the /usr/ports/x11/kde3 and everything was done within half an hour. Now I just get what looks like a really long if/then/else statement that seems to take hours and hours.
Now what?

Thanks in advance.

Kernel_Killer
July 30th, 2005, 00:18
Time to wait. Compiling kde can take a long long long amount of time, depending on your processor speed.

Dragon12
July 30th, 2005, 01:12
Thanks for your help folks, The proc is a 233 with 128Mbs of RAM. I guess I play the waiting game now. Thank god I have other computers to fool around with!
As long as we are talking about GUI's what do you folks like to use? KDE? Gnome? Xfce? Fluxbox?

Kernel_Killer
July 30th, 2005, 01:37
KDE, Fluxbox, Openbox, and Window Makere here. If that system is a 233, you might take a look at the others I mentioned. They are lightweight desktop environments compared to KDE, and KDE is going to eat that system alive. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't use the KDE apps.

Dragon12
July 30th, 2005, 04:58
Yea I saw in the FreeBSD handbook, Xfce, so I complied that in about three hours. Now I just need a web browser and hopefully OpenOffice will run on a 233.