Dragon12
August 3rd, 2005, 00:59
The laptop that I have installed FBSD on only has a 4 gig drive and the space on it seems to have been eaten up by the ports that I have installed. What can I delete from the /usr/ports dir and not have it cause any problems and free up more space? I tried to delete some of the ports and keep others. When I tried to install the ones I kept, I would get errors up the "yang".

Thanks in advance,

magenta
August 3rd, 2005, 06:49
well you could skip all the language dir (chinese etc..) remeber to change your sup file to reflect that.

Or you could skip all the ports and only install binary packages.

you could also mount ports and stuff from another machine if you have one.

but tjek the handbook : http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

Strog
August 3rd, 2005, 09:10
Remember to do a "make clean" afterwards when you build a port so it removes the work directory when it is done. This can eat up a lot of space if you've built very many ports at all. You can do a make clean from the top of the ports tree but that takes a while because it ends up going through some ports many times. A quick a dirty way to clean it is to manually remove all the work directories (cd /usr/ports ; rm -rf */*/work).

Your distfiles can take up a lot of room over time, especially as you upgrade and still have the older version(s) of the source tarballs. You can safely remove everything in /usr/ports/distfiles but remember that you'll refetch any files that get rebuilt or just a patch upgrade.

Dragon12
August 3rd, 2005, 16:04
Thanks everyone,

Luckly I have been doing "make install clean" on all of the ports that I have installed, so we are good there. I did go through and delete the the ports that had to do with languages that I didn't know ( I can only swear in spanish, so not much is going to help me there :biggrin: ). Good idea about the "cd /usr/ports ; rm -rf */*/work" that cleared up a little space and is good if I forgot to do "clean".

optyk
August 3rd, 2005, 18:21
If you are using cvsup to keep your ports up to date then check out the cvsup manpage, especially the part about refuse files.

molotov
August 4th, 2005, 11:01
If space is that much of an issue, you might want to do

make install distclean

which will clean up the work directory and clean the file from /usr/ports/distfiles. You didn't mention if you cleaned up /usr/ports/distfiles, I definitally would if you havn't.