Pleeb0101
August 4th, 2005, 11:27
Hello!

Right now I have three computers in seperate rooms all of which I'd like to listen to music on, preferably the SAME music. I'd like to set up a streaming server so serve to my local network and when I got to looking at my options there seems to be 3 alternatives, iceCast SHOUTcast and liteStream. I don't see anything particularly different about the first two and the thirds website is down so I've not found any real info about it. I just wanted to know if anyone could recommend one over the other and if there's anything that really makes one suck.

Amicus
August 4th, 2005, 15:00
I believe icecast is the GPL version of shoutcast. I've used icecast before and it worked fine. I streamed all of my mp3's on random and listened to them with winamp. That machine eventually went away and I haven't streamed my mp3's since.
Recently, I have become interested in mod_mp3 for apache (http://tangent.org). You might want to try that instead.
Anyone have a review of mod_mp3?

Kernel_Killer
August 5th, 2005, 11:15
Shoutcast mixed with HolyShout works great. Plus we have a how-to on setting it all up in the how-to section.

Pleeb0101
August 6th, 2005, 06:21
Thanks for the responses!
Looks like it'll be shoutCast then, always good to choose something you can get lots of good help with... ;0)