ustuntas
August 26th, 2005, 09:50
Hello All,

How can I make my own special FreeBSD distro? I have installed many mail servers for our customers. I want to make some installation cd, then the customer use the cd install the special
mail server pre installed FreeBSD. I use sendmail+mailscanner+clamav+spamassassin+mailwatch +squirrelmail bundle for my customers.
Then, I install the system in a pc, then makin distro for that special FreeBSD system.. How can i start
the making special home made FreeBSD installation cd?

Any comment :)

Regards

molotov
August 26th, 2005, 09:55
Step 1: Create a list of files that need to be different on every machine
Step 2: Cut down the o/s so it will fit on a dvd
Step 3: Write an install script
Step 4: Use mkisofs to make an iso
Step 5: Burn the cd.
Step 6: ???
Step 7: Profit!

hyuck hyuck hyuck.

ustuntas
August 26th, 2005, 10:05
Ok. Ok.

Cheers again.. But, realy need some starting point? ;-)

And how about step 6... :)

And... How is the real world solution my first question ?

Strog
August 26th, 2005, 11:30
I'd probably setup a machine the way I wanted and then use dump to back it up to a file.

Then I'd setup the freesbie port on a machine. The premade freesbie isos are loaded up with X and all kinds of tools but you can make a minimal one with only what you need on it from the port. A dump image of a minimal install with the packages you mentition should fit on a CD easily.

I would setup a script to setup slices/partitions and then restore the dump to the harddrive. You can decide if you want the users to customize it and give them some options or just automate this part.

Then I would script it so the users can give you some input on things that are unique to their install ( hostname, domain for postfix, etc.).

Obviously this is fairly general and it could be tweaked but you should get the idea I'm trying to get across. The simplest setup is going to be to not ask for any user input. Just throw this CD in and take it out when it's ready to reboot. The more input you get from the user, the more complicated this will get but you should be able to tailor it to your needs as you go.

ustuntas
August 27th, 2005, 03:19
Thanks your information. Can you explain the fact in more specific manner?
Maybe in steps.. :)

Regards,

Kernel_Killer
August 27th, 2005, 16:01
I've been messing with using Flashdist with flash drives. Bad part is, finding a motherboard that supports boot on USB. Maybe a PPC OpenBSD......