cod3fr3ak
September 19th, 2005, 10:07
Hi all.

I am having a problem getting an internal DNS server working they way I want it. Basically we have an internal network of web and application servers, as well as a public set of servers. For some reason the public web servers do not fall under a root names space that we control. For example we have one web server called rudy.jeepers.com. We do not control the jeepers.com address. So here is the problem. I have setup a dns server with the root name of candy.jeepers.com. I designated myself as the master. I also forward requests out of this DNS server to other domains, so that if you enter www.yahoo.com you get the right page. How can I modify the named config files to let users that as for rudy.jeepers.com they get the internal version of the site and not the external one. I tried creating a jeepers.com zone file, which works, but any other site on jeepers.com that I have not listed (cause I don't now about them) fail to resolv.
This is esepcially annoying since my developers named their dev versions of the sites with the same root domain as the production versions candy-dev.jeepers.com. Thanks for any insights.

Loop
September 26th, 2005, 05:32
If you are using Bind v9, maybe you could look at setting up multiple "views".

|MiNi0n|
September 30th, 2005, 13:30
There is a way to create a special circumstance to allow for this situation . I've done it in the past, unfortunately it's too many moons ago to remember the specifics. It's actually touched on in brief in this How-to of elmore's:

http://www.screamingelectron.org/forum/showthread.php?t=234

See the spcl.screamingelectron part near the bottom.

Unfortunately, this is all wrapped up inside a hacked version of h2n so it's workings will not be obvious. That being said, that hacking was done by none other than bmw in this forum so maybe his memory is better than mine and he can shed more light than I.

cod3fr3ak
October 3rd, 2005, 09:16
Hmm. I think I figured out an alternative. I greated individual zone files for each of the addresses. So for the site candy.jeepers.com I would create a zonefile with the root being candy.jeepers.com, put a record in it and then go on to the next. Its working but its not the best solution. I am thinking about multiple views for a more permanant solution.