opus
October 13th, 2005, 18:46
My current server is a dual 400 with a 120G IDE drive, loaded with 4.11-STABLE. The setup of it is the basic slices, with an added slice /server, where everything http is.

My question is this: I just loaded the original 4G SCSI with 6.0, for the fun of it. Can I put that SCSI as the master, then put the 120G IDE as the slave. I would then have what I want. The OS on one drive and my data on another.

My other question: Can I then delete or something to that effect, the /, /var/tmp/usr and swap from the 120G and make a new slice to cover all the space the OS had taken...or something like that. That way I would be left with 2 slices; /server and /1 big slice.

Am I off my rocker?

bmw
October 13th, 2005, 21:14
Can I put that SCSI as the master, then put the 120G IDE as the slave.That depends on your SCSI controller and mobo's BIOS. You need to set the SCSI ctrlr as bootable and make it the primary boot device. If you can make it bootable, but the IDE keeps on booting first, see if you can use fdisk to remove the "bootable" flag from all of the IDE slices ("partitions" in DOS-land). Failing that you would have to make use of the FreeBSD multi-booter to force a jump from the IDE to the SCSI drive. Use fdisk or boot0cfg to install that.

My other question: Can I then delete or something to that effect, the /, /var/tmp/usr and swap from the 120G and make a new slice to cover all the space the OS had taken...or something like that. That way I would be left with 2 slices; /server and /1 big slice.

Am I off my rocker?I can't comment on your seating arrangement :-), but I'd suggest leaving the OS partitions on the IDE alone. They aren't taking up all that much space most likely, and you might need 'em if something goes wrong with your SCSI h/w. I think there's a way in the latest FreeBSD's to coalesce adjacent partitions, but I'm not sure about swap. You'd need to mark that as a normal partition and newfs it.

BTW: it's good to use extra available swap space to get faster swapping (more heads moving). Use the swapon command at boot time to add additional swap partitions in (ie that IDE swap).