Kernel_Killer
November 10th, 2005, 16:20
So our programmer ran across this today. We have hit a point to where BSD isn't a viable solution do to the lack of people knowing how to use it, but love what it can do for us. So our programmer was sneaking around the net, and ran across this distrobution. It's a Debian based OS using the FreeBSD 5.x kernel. Downloading the image now, and going to see what all we can get out of the kernel (jails, MAC, ISAKMPD, gdbe, pf, etc.). I'll keep everybody posted later today as we progress with the hacking of this OS.

http://www.debian.org/ports/freebsd/

Kernel_Killer
November 11th, 2005, 11:14
Well, so far so good. It uses the FreeBSD installer, unfortunately the installer only works to a point. You can't do a standard install, and have to use custom, or express to where you can only install the base system. After installing the system, a quick 'pf' tab completion showed that pf was made to work on the base system, and the GEOM modules were already compiled into the kernel as well. It was nice to see that the 5.x kernel was used, and not forked from the 4.x tree. Everything that was installed after had to be done with apt-get since it is still indeed a Debian system. Other than that I'm quite happy with this project, and can't wait for it to mature more. You can't say this isn't a great concept for a distribution. I'll post more as a progress.

debian:~# uname -a
GNU/kFreeBSD debian 5.4-1-486 #0 Tue Oct 25 03:07:44 CEST 2005 i686 GNU/kFreeBSD
debian:~#

Kernel_Killer
November 14th, 2005, 15:22
Well, I'm just about through with this version of Ging, but needless to say, I'm really interested to see where this goes. The amount of packages almost equal the amount of Debian-64 packages, and half of them have issues to begin with. There are a few things that have to be worked out, like sysinstall being a part of the install, but the term not being set to cons25, and various little cosmetic details. Another was the lack of being able to compile a custom kernel (in due time I'm sure). Even though it has some time to actually be put into a semi-production, I can't wait to see where this goes later on down the road.