n00dles
October 29th, 2006, 13:23
I was just wondering what other users/admins do regards gerneral system house keeping, cleaning/checking logs, security, updates etc... And if anyone has any good tips or any helpful experience with this matter.

bsdjunkie
October 30th, 2006, 09:49
I dont do to much house cleaning with OpenBSD. I find that it regularly rotates the logs with no problems. I do check the emails sent by the system for file changes a couple times a week, and of course watch my PF and IDS logs daily. As far as updates for security, on my firewall I will patch when they are released, but I usually have my desktops keeping up to date on -current.

Strog
October 30th, 2006, 12:52
I use cvsup for FreeBSD (RELEASE+patches for servers and STABLE for desktops) and cvs for OpenBSD/NetBSD (stable). I generally stick with packages on OpenBSD/NetBSD (unless I need something custom) and ports with FreeBSD. FreeBSD works well with packages if you use just packages but I seem to have a lot more trouble when packages and ports get mixed. :wink:

Make sure you setup your logs to email to you. If you have several boxes then you really should consider a central syslog server to keep better tabs on it. Whatever you do, make sure you actually look at those logs regularly instead of just deleting the email. :wink:

Setup nessus or similar to scan the network regularly and check the diffs against previous scans. A little spot checking with tcpdump, ethereal, etc. doesn't hurt either. Segment servers to DMZ(s) whenever possible and isolate threats as much as you can. The more layers of security you can add, the less chance of a security issue spreading.