snowman
February 16th, 2003, 18:56
Hello:
I am new posting here on Screaming Electron, but I have been reading through your various threads for a while now. I noticed how everyone here is eager to help one another out, so I thought I'd join in the fun. I won't be able to contribute too much to begin with, but as I learn I want to be able to help where I can.

Question:
I am using anoncvs to update ports and src on a stable 3.2 machine. I can cvsup the src without trouble but when I try to update the ports, I get disconnected from the server. The last line says...

Read from remote host anon.cvsserver.org: Connection reset by peer. where "anon.cvsserver.org" is my local mirror.

What I wanted to kow was, is this a normal thing if there are no updates to get or if not, why am I getting disconnected from the server?

elmore
February 17th, 2003, 00:48
Hey welcome snowman, glad to see another new face. Hopefully we'll be able to help you out some. Right now My mind is real tired. I'll look at this in the morning and get you some feedback if no one else has by then.

elmore
February 18th, 2003, 03:07
Looks like you issued an illegal command or you just timed out or the ports tree isn't mirrored on your server. Hmmm... Any chance you can tell us what server you're actually using?

snowman
February 19th, 2003, 01:34
The commands I issued were..

#su
#setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@openbsd.groupbsd.org/cvs
#cd /usr
#cvs up -rOPENBSD_3_2 ports

This is basically a paste from the official page (http://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.html) except for the -q option.

soup4you2
February 19th, 2003, 09:38
how about something like this:

[code:1:b46f9a4cff]
# cd /usr
# CVSROOT=anoncvs@anoncvs.usa.openbsd.org:/cvs
# cvs -q get -P src
# cvs -q get -rOPENBSD_3_2 -P ports
# cvs -q get -rOPENBSD_3_2 -P src

[/code:1:b46f9a4cff]

snowman
February 19th, 2003, 13:46
Thanks for your reply soup4you2. :)

From what I gather from man cvs, the -P opton has no bearing on why I am being disconnected or timing out. Here is a what the man says...

-P Prune (remove) directories that are empty after
being updated, on checkout, or update. Normally,
an empty directory (one that is void of revision-
controlled files) is left alone. Specifying -P
will cause these directories to be silently removed
from your checked-out sources. This does not
remove the directory from the repository, only from
your checked out copy. Note that this option is
implied by the -r or -D options of checkout and
export.

Correct me if I am wrong but I essentially did this when I initially checked out. What I issued there was...

# cd /usr
# cvs get -P ports

The man page says that the -P is implied by the -r option of checkout and export. Am I right to assume that '#cvs up -rOPENBSD_3_2 ports' still implies this with the -r option? By the way, just to clarify I checked out from this same server that I am trying to update with.

soup4you2
February 19th, 2003, 15:41
i dont know if it makes much of a diffrence.. but your post had

setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@openbsd.groupbsd.org/cvs

when should it not be

setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@openbsd.groupbsd.org:/cvs

perhaps thats your problem.. i'm a obsd newbie.. mainly stick w/ fbsd but what i posted i just snagged off openbsd's website.. they have some pretty good docs on cvs over there..

you can check out this page..

http://openbsd.org/ports.html

and if cvs is still giving you problems you can just setup a nightly cron script to delete the ports tree. download the latest ports.tar.gz file and extract it.. theres many many ways you can update your ports.. perhaps one of these days i'll boot back into my obsd partition and play around w/ it somemore..

snowman
February 21st, 2003, 02:15
Nah, the missing ":" was just a typo on the post. I guess I could do the cron job thing, I was just wondering why it was broken. I guess I'll keep scouring google and whatnot. In any event, I am glad to have found this place and will be spending time here.

:)

|MiNi0n|
February 21st, 2003, 15:35
# cd /usr
# cvs get -P ports

If the above is what you issued to check out the ports via cvs, then, if as you stated earlier, you were trying the following to update it:

#su
#setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@openbsd.groupbsd.org/cvs
#cd /usr
#cvs up -rOPENBSD_3_2 ports

then you're dealing with two different versions of ports. Your first command to get ports would have checked out "current", your second command to update would have tried to update using 3.2 *not current*. So you're trying to cvs conflicting versions.

soup4you2
February 21st, 2003, 15:43
cvsup is another great way to go .. i think... at least it is in fbsd.

http://openbsd.org/cvsup.html

snowman
February 26th, 2003, 02:15
This must have been a problem with the server. I just updated the ports again today and used the exact same commands that I used before ( I created a script ). All went well, but I wanted to thank everyone again for trying to help me figure out what the deal was. :)

cod3fr3ak
July 4th, 2003, 20:11
So now that I have a new copy of the src and ports stuff sitting in /usr -- what do I do now?