Kernel_Killer
January 4th, 2007, 03:59
Well, I'm getting back into the BBS thing, and the only problem I'm having right now is the lack of a terminal that supports the IBM Extended ASCII fonts. I've been searching high and low for such a solution, and even for OS X. Unfortunatly, I have not been able to find a solution. Something about logging on to a BBS and not being able to see the ANSI artwork correctly really takes away from the old BBS feel. Does anyone know how to get the the old 255 char font set to work on a terminal, or a terminal that has them by default? I've been looking at font hacks, but so far the ttf fonts that I found will not work with terminals that I can see.

Kernel_Killer
January 4th, 2007, 22:33
Well, So far, so bad. Many articles have listed the same problems, with very minimal results. The closest I've come so far is getting a IBM extended ASCII font pack, and using that font in a terminal. The only problem so far, is that in OS X, I had to use iTerm, using that font, but the colors are mixed up (sigh). I installed the font on the FreeBSD system, but from what I've read so far, most terminals are going to have issues. I also had a brainstorm to try something like SSHDOS on DOSBox, but the bad thing is, DOSBox doesn't even support TCP/IP yet. Back to the drawing board....

molotov
January 5th, 2007, 03:41
Yea, Im pretty sure I got it working on os X using xterm and the supplied X11. Heres what I did.

1) Found an email thread saying dosemu has some good VGA fonts and to try them out. Got them, they were all in bdf form. Used

bdftopcf vga.bfd >vga.pcf

2) Copied the font (pcf) over to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc

3) ran mkfontdir there

4) restarted X

5) got the font name from the fonts.dir file, in this case it was

-dosemu-vga-medium-r-normal--17-160-75-75-p-80-ibm-cp437

Note there were other dosemu vga fonts, I just didnt copy/install them.
lastly, started an xterm

xterm -fn -dosemu-vga-medium-r-normal--17-160-75-75-p-80-ibm-cp437

Which appeared to work, although I didnt have anything to test it on. Knock on wood? Ive attached vga.txt NOTE THIS IS A GZIP OF vga.pcf TO GET AROUND FILETYPE/SIZE filter.

Update:
Hm, just read your second posting, somehow I didnt see it. Does this help at all? If not at least it gives someone else the steps =\

Kernel_Killer
January 5th, 2007, 20:57
Yeah, I might give it a shot, after I install X again. I've just about given up on this completely (almost. at least for tonight).

Kernel_Killer
January 9th, 2007, 22:13
Well, in FreeBSD itself, it looks like the default console will do the trick. Using in X on the other hand does not. I have yet to find out just what font set it's actually using by default (then again, I haven't looked too hard).

Kernel_Killer
January 10th, 2007, 03:12
OMG. Molo, <3. Finally install X11, and it works great!!!

I'm going to try this on FBSD in X later.

Kernel_Killer
January 10th, 2007, 18:12
Well, I finally found an app that supports this. Syncterm (http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/) fully supports ANSI and IBM extended ASCII. The protocols supported are SSH, RLogin, Telnet, and RAW. It's mainly for logging into BBSes, but I'm sure you could use it for a SSH client as well. This app is ported for Win32, Linux, Open/Free/NetBSD, Linux/SPARC, OS X, and a few others.