gmoreno
August 10th, 2007, 07:56
Hey guys,

I've gone over to the dark site. I just got sparc 20 box and I got it setup with OpenBSD. I'm pretty thrilled. I've always wanted to give OpenBSD a fair shot. Since this is going to be my servier I don't need any fancy stuff I would need in linux.

First off I wonder why it takes so long to establish a ssh connection. On other boxes ssh is a snap.

Second my sparc has 2 or three CPUs. Do I need to do anything special to configure them?

mainbus0 (root): SUNW,SPARCstation-20
cpu0 at mainbus0: TMS390Z50 v0 or TMS390Z55 @ 75 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu0: physical 20K instruction (64 b/l), 16K data (32 b/l), 1024K external (32 b/l) cache enabled
cpu at mainbus0 not configured
obio0 at mainbus0

Third is I'm having a heck of a time getting X to work. I don't need anything special just blackbox.

TIA

Amicus
August 10th, 2007, 11:07
First off I wonder why it takes so long to establish a ssh connection. On other boxes ssh is a snap.If you're talking about it taking forever to ask for your username/password, I have the same problem when logging into my OpenBSD gateway/firewall and the internet is down. I think a simple entry into the /etc/hosts file will speed this up.

Second my sparc has 2 or three CPUs. Do I need to do anything special to configure them?See http://www.openbsd.org/sparc.html. I looked in the ftp directory for sparc and sparc64 and did not see a bsd.mp. On i386, if you have a SMP machine, the bsd.mp (multiple processor) kernel is used. It appears that sparc's do not have a mp kernel. Also, at the bottom of the sparc.html page it shows that some sparc machines have troubles booting OpenBSD and that the resolution to this is to remove extra processors.

Hope that helped some.

Kernel_Killer
August 10th, 2007, 18:11
Giving OpenBSD a "fair shot" on a SPARC, might not be very fair. There are a lot of broken packages on the SPARC branch. If you want X, and all that good stuff, I would highly recommend the FreeBSD SPARC branch, otherwise, roll up your sleves and lock yourself in the basement. :biggrin:

elmore
August 10th, 2007, 18:28
Giving OpenBSD a "fair shot" on a SPARC, might not be very fair. There are a lot of broken packages on the SPARC branch. If you want X, and all that good stuff, I would highly recommend the FreeBSD SPARC branch, otherwise, roll up your sleves and lock yourself in the basement. :biggrin:

I haven't has too many problems with OpenBSD's sparc port. I'm using a v100 machine for my firewall currently. The very same box that ran S.E. for almost 2 years.

# uname -a
OpenBSD csm.home.su.perfluo.us 4.1 GENERIC#1099 sparc64

mainbus0 (root): Sun Fire V100 (UltraSPARC-IIe 500MHz)
cpu0 at mainbus0: SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIe (rev 1.4) @ 500 MHz, version 0 FPU
As a desktop machine it may be rough going... You might actually have the best luck with NetBSD. I've tried FreeBSD's sparc port as well and it also has its challenges.

gmoreno
September 13th, 2007, 03:25
I finally reset my password. So far I've had my SS20 running like a charm. The main problem I've had is when I disconnect the ethernet cable. When I reconnect it it dosent sync back up. I have to reboot the machine. NetBSD sounds great. You guys suggested it and I've read up on it. NetBSD does support SMP. That would rock. Looks like NetBSD might be my best bet.

Kernel_Killer
September 13th, 2007, 21:29
You did try running 'ifconfig <ethernet adapter name> down', 'ifconfig <ethernet adapter name> up' didn't you? If you are running with dhcp, just re-run dhclient.

gmoreno
September 14th, 2007, 07:00
This is a headless setup. Easier to reboot than to disconnect and take it to the other room.

But my ubuntu syncs back up when i connect the Ethernet cable back up.

Kernel_Killer
September 14th, 2007, 16:39
You can probably alter the dhcleint.conf to set it to resync when it's reconnected. Otherwise, maybe you should connect via a null modem cable.

gmoreno
September 15th, 2007, 01:43
Well I've installed Netbsd. Currently downloading ports. But I think I will look into dhclient.conf

I'm enjoying bsd goodness. I'm considering bsd for my desktop.