elmore
August 15th, 2007, 23:23
Well, I won an iphone at a booth give away last night. I was stoked, I never win things like that. I've been using this thing now for about 24 hours but I've definitely found some issues. Some of these things may be my lack of product knowledge, some are shortcomings.

1. I can only select from the given 25 or so ring tones that come standard.

2. I can't change the ringers for voicemail, e-mail, sms messages etc. I can only turn them on and off.

3. If the phone is locked and a call comes in, I can;t seem to silence the ring without answering the call.

4. E-mail views are limited, I can't seem to sort e-mail in any way other than by time received. There is also no e-mail search capability.

5. There is no support for *cough*Exchange*cough* . Yes I said it. Unfortunate as it may be, my company runs Exchange, I have to use it. I keep my contacts, calendar and e-mail on an exchange server. No way can I convince the sysadmins to turn on imap to the outside, and even if they did, I still have calendar and contact info to sync. iPhone needs active sync. There's just no way around it.

6. I can't customize the main page. Really I'd like to do this, it's cosmetic I know but important to me.

7. Battery life seems incredibly short. While the phone lasted all day it does need a recharge tonight. I'm used to blackberries where I can run for 2 -3 days between charges. Given, blackberries don't have an ipod or a large video screen built in.

Here's some things I do like.

1. Safari - Wow what a great web implementation on the phone. It just works.

2. Wi-Fi - When I get near a hotspot I can connect up and surf the web. That's a great feature.

3. Ipod/Iphoto - Even though I only have the 4gb model, it's nice to have pictures of my kiddo, and a few tunes for when I'm bored.

4. Interface - The interface overall is very nicely done, and relatively easy to figure out. The soft keyboard is easily the best I've ever used.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some of the experience. I'm glad I won this and I'm going to continue to use it for a while, my overall impression is favorable, call quality is good, the integration of several features into a phone has always been difficult. My general thought is that if the phone part of the phone doesn't work, then what good is the device. So far so good.

I actually stopped by the apple store today and talked with one of the guys there, and he informed that several of the above mentioned features were due to be implemented in future software updates. That's good news.

Kernel_Killer
August 15th, 2007, 23:40
Sounds good. Still can't see a real reason to buy one, but the lack of an Exchange conduit is definately odd, especially when you have to use Active Sync. How is syncing on the Mac?

elmore
August 16th, 2007, 00:03
Sounds good. Still can't see a real reason to buy one, but the lack of an Exchange conduit is definately odd, especially when you have to use Active Sync. How is syncing on the Mac?

Yeah while my impression is favorable, I don;t think it's quite worth the 600 dollar price tag. Glad I won it. Syncing works just fine on the mac, it works fine in windows for that matter. My only syncing issue is with my corporate e-mail account. I hate having to carry 2 phones.

Strog
August 16th, 2007, 14:19
I remember seeing the pictures of the exchange tab on the early release iphone pictures. I'd be suprised if they don't add it in an update soon. Probably had enough other things on their plate to get it out the door.