cod3fr3ak
April 5th, 2003, 12:22
Okay I have a cable modem from Camcast. Of course they only do DHCP, beside using DynDNS to maintain a full-qualed DNS address, is there anyway I could do this via OpenBSD? I was thinking in specific where there any DHCP options or directives that would allow you to ask for the same IP address every time?

|MiNi0n|
April 5th, 2003, 13:38
Not really. That variable is totally reliant on how your ISP handles thier DHCP leases. BTW - It's relatively standard for both client and server to want to lease/issue the same IP. However, if the ISP wants to deter activity such as what you're after they'll try and give you a different IP each time. With any luck you'll get the same one. I've been getting the same cable DHCP address from Rogers for a good two years now :lol: Just don't change your NIC, it's all dependant on your mac address!

Anyhow, see man dhclient.conf for more.

cod3fr3ak
April 5th, 2003, 14:01
Aff. I just printed that doc out and I am checking over it now. Thanks.

frisco
April 5th, 2003, 16:46
I use Comcast in MI, so do many of my co-workers. Our IP's change every so often, generally during the same time as when Comcast goes through some overhauls and other things are affected too (downtime, different routing, etc). And as |MiNi0n| mentioned, when your MAC address changes. If you change your NIC and don't want to change your MAC, for OpenBSD look for sea.c in the mail list archives. Also once someone posted a patch to ifconfig to implement MAC addr changing.

cod3fr3ak
April 7th, 2003, 22:43
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.