tarballed
April 24th, 2003, 22:55
Ok ok. I decided that on one of my home computers, I want to setup a dual boot with FreeBSD and NetBSD. The computer currently has two hard drives, so I figured I could install each on it's own hard drive and everyone will play nice.:)

With that in mind, anyone have any recommendations on what would be the best way to proceed with this? For instance, which distro should I install first? Boot loader? Setting up the boot loader etc...Anyone know of a how-to for something like this?

I'm looking forward to it. I'm loving it all the time.

Oh, yes. I almost forgot. I am putting in a second workstation at work here soon. It is going to have Red Hat on it and *BSD on it as well. This is a upcoming task so I will be back for recommendations and input.

Thanks everyone.

Let the posting begin!! :borg:

Tarballed

|MiNi0n|
April 24th, 2003, 23:43
I might suggest going Net then Free. FreeBSD's boot loader is quite good at doing mutliple OS's. But then again, I'm totally devoted to gag... it's awesome:

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

Even does Open with a blowfish icon!!!

Strog
April 24th, 2003, 23:45
I tend to wipe out installs once in a while with the NetBSD installer. It's a little more manual than the FreeBSD one. I just get in a hurry or it's late or whatever. I can do it fine if I stop and check it out first. I do the same thing with dual booting OpenBSD. I just grab a pencil and paper and write down all my sectors to be sure now. I personally would go with NetBSD first so I got it down before going to the next OS. I don't think there's any other reason to choose one over the other for first.

I've used every major bootloader out there and you can get most of them to do what you want within reason. I settled on GRUB because of how flexible it is, reconfigurable on the fly, etc. Elmore suggested GAG (gag.sourceforge.net) to me a while back and I've heard good things about it so I gave it a go. It is really easy and works great and I've been using it on all machines ever since.