April 28th, 2003, 20:42
http://www.hummingbird.com/products/nc/nfs/

nifty....

elmore
April 28th, 2003, 21:40
kewl

KrUsTy!
April 28th, 2003, 23:12
About 6 years ago I played with hummingbird for accessing NFS from windows computers. It was auful, and never worked right. I assume that in 6 years they have done a little work and got it cleaned up.

Actually, perhaps it was just the NT that was auful... :D

Unix Services for Windows from the big Bad Microsoft actually has a NFS client/server as well. They are on version 3.0 now, I tried version 2.0 and it was more then auful. Although it did work to some degree, of course until the windows 2000 clients locked up solid. Nice.... I understand that version 3.0 is supposed to be better, but I don't need to use it so I don't.

If you can run samba to get at the Unix file system, thats the best bet.

{K}

soup4you2
April 29th, 2003, 09:11
arr i played with it for a bit last night and just could not get it to mount the shares.. guess they havent improved much... how about appletalk..

i'm looking for the one w/ the best performance.. samba's i think lacks some in speed..

KrUsTy!
April 29th, 2003, 11:37
I have run samba for many years, it is very fast if setup properly. Usually what people miss when doing samba is an option called "TCP/IP no delay". I am always shocked at the speed of Samba. I find it just as fast as NFS.

Appletalk?! Sure you could setup a netatalk service on your box, but why? Appletalk is slower then SMB, and Samba talks to windows boxes without having to add any software. Unless you are using Mac OS 9 and before, I wouldn't bother with appletalk. Mac OS X can login to samba domains without any trouble. Appletalk is on its way out, even in the Mac world. Of course Mac OS X can mount NFS directly anyway...

At home I have a FreeBSD samba server, I login to it from windows (rarely of course :D ) and Mac OS X. With Samba you can have your network printers setup as well. And since Mac OS X uses CUPS, I setup samba to backend the CUPS on that same server for windows printer service, and have the Mac OS X box pickup the CUPS printers directly.

So Samba is a great solution because it does the whole range of services for windows, file sharing, authentication, printing. And it does it fast.

{K}

soup4you2
April 29th, 2003, 14:00
i'm just playing around with them... my indended goal is to setup NFS/Appletalk/samba shares across a network w/ windows/mac and bsd then benchmark all 3 and write up a little article... but now i'm second guessing that idea since both nfs and appletalk on windows completely blow.. guess it's good 'ol smb