tarballed
May 20th, 2003, 16:27
Ok everyone. I am really going to make the jump here to FreeBSD. You may be wondering, what do you mean exactly.
Simple enough, I want to get away from a Windows desktop, fully.

This is what Im going to do. I've convinced management to let me build my own machine at work and put multiple OS's on it. They can then come by my desk and check it out whenever they want to. This could be a good step towards getting more *BSD boxes on our network, which would be great for a ton of reasons...

Here is what im going to put together:

AMD XP1700+ CPU
512MB RAM
2 40gig IDE Drives

I'm planning on putting at least 2 OS's on here, the first being FreeBSD 4.8. Part of the deal I had to make was that I would put a Linux OS on this box as well...no problem...

So what I want to do is really get my FreeBSD box up and running nicely. Running X-Windows (Make it nice and customizable), as well as any other things you can suggest to get this box up and running like a champ with lots of cool stuff....

So, im going to be posting a lot, asking for help...because this is the best place for that!

My first step, get it up and running....i've got the CD's and im about to install. Any suggestions or recommendations on anything I should install on this?

looking forward to it...this is going to rock!

Tarballed

elmore
May 28th, 2003, 11:16
So how's it coming tarballed? Any status yet?

tarballed
May 28th, 2003, 13:27
Well, i've not been able to do as much as I liked. I've been wrapped up setting up this samba PDC with LDAP. LDAP is sucking up a lot of my time. I've got it up and running, but now I have to fine tune it and work out all the details to make sure it works before we roll it out.

But, i've got FreeBSD 4.8 setup on a dual boot at home and at work. Soon, I really want to set it up as my main desktop. :)

When I have more time, I will definetly bug everyone here. :)

Tarballed

opus
July 24th, 2003, 17:29
Go for it!! The only thing keeping me from being 100% BSD is I can't get my USB flash card reader to work. 6 BSD machines and 1 Windows......getting there!!

soup4you2
July 24th, 2003, 18:57
Why dont you give us some docs..

though out this process write down the commands and steps you take along your journey. like setting up ldap or whatever service..

it helps us in sharing the knoledge and generates better google searches for us..

if you want just write down the commands you do and some cliff notes on what your doing and i'll put together some good howtos for ya..

some of the initial things your going to be doing would be really good for documentation

elmore
July 25th, 2003, 00:00
I concur with Soup on this fully, we can really use the docs even if it's just a history dump of what you did to get something working!

frisco
July 25th, 2003, 03:48
Go for it!! The only thing keeping me from being 100% BSD is I can't get my USB flash card reader to work. 6 BSD machines and 1 Windows......getting there!!

What BSD/version and what flash card reader? Maybe we can make you 100% BSD.