elmore
May 27th, 2003, 19:10
So we reached a good milestone today.

3000 posts and 150 members. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that makes this board happen. I am constantly amazed by the members on this board! Eveyone here is Awesome! Thanks Again.

stdnrw
May 31st, 2003, 22:35

Kernel_Killer
May 31st, 2003, 22:49
Rock out SE!!!!!! It seems like yesturday that it was just 100. :D

socomm
June 1st, 2003, 13:03
Yes a programming forum might be a good idea.

|MiNi0n|
June 1st, 2003, 13:14
Now, if we had a programming forum, perhaps those of us who are ``not quite'' interested in system administration could contribute a little more, assuming I'm not the only one? :wink:

Point well taken. Can't say I'd be any help whatsoever in that department though, programming is a weak link for me :roll:

Any of you regulars think you could support a programming forum?

v902
June 1st, 2003, 16:19
Congrats on the milestone! :) :)

For the Programming forum, I have nothing against programming, but truly I think it shouldn't be here, because to me this is a strictly *BSD and *BSD related forum, now if it was porting code or compatibility that would be fine... Just my opinion.

Kernel_Killer
June 1st, 2003, 18:21
I gotta agree with Vlad. I could understand if it was on the development of the ports, but nothing more. The languages are just too broad, and would hit a lot of other OS'es.

stdnrw
June 2nd, 2003, 09:11

KrUsTy!
June 2nd, 2003, 11:16
Just thought that the point should be made that we do have a number of forums that are not directly BSD related. Although they are things that run or have some relation to BSD, they are not just about the OSes. If you look in the general area we have forums for PHP, Mysql, Networking/routing, etc. We even have a forum to suggest other forums for SE! I think Programming could be just as related to BSD as those forums are.

If a bunch of people would like a programming forum (I will unfortunately not be much help in this as I don't have much in that skill department...) then I don't see why it would be outside the scope of this board. I think that the BSDness of this board would be quite safe....

I have posted a fairly big FAQ about POSIX and Unix stuff in another programming forum already, and I could perhaps write HOWTO's / tutorials, if there's any interest whatsoever.

Hey, maybe I'll learn something!

Just my 2 cents, thats all.

{K}

frisco
June 2nd, 2003, 11:58
Just thought that the point should be made that we do have a number of forums that are not directly BSD related. Although they are things that run or have some relation to BSD, they are not just about the OSes. If you look in the general area we have forums for PHP, Mysql, Networking/routing, etc. We even have a forum to suggest other forums for SE! I think Programming could be just as related to BSD as those forums are.

Heh, C is much more *BSD than php is.

A forum on programming would definitely not be out of place here, though i don't know that i'd be much help there, except maybe in asking questions.

elmore
June 2nd, 2003, 12:32
well I guess I should weigh in here. I've talked to stdnrw a number of times about this and I think it's a good idea. Remember these are BSD programming forums, and one general programming forum. We have room for the forums, so we might as well do it. The way I see it is like this:

1. Programming is something I'd really like to learn more about, I'm no expert in it, I have some very rudimentary skills in c but that's about it. Perhaps in time I'll be able to learn enough that I can mark up some of the kernel source to achieve something I'm looking to do. I'm sure others are the same way and could benefit for sure.

2. This might help us appeal to a broader audience. There's nothing wrong with that from what I see. We have a good group here now, things will only get better with other like minded people. Plus programmers, might bring a new perspective on userland problems and issues that even the most seasoned administrator might not see.

3. Maybe some cool new code or patch will be posted here for us to test out and give direct feedback on. That's gotta be good for the community and good for S.E. Who knows, all in all that can't be a bad thing.

Anyways, I'm currently working out with stdnrw what forums we should have and where they ahould go. This isn't going to change things for the worse only for the better. By accomodating others we'll grow into something that the entire BSD community can be proud to associate with.

My .02 cents worth...