frisco
May 28th, 2003, 21:48
A week and a half ago an initial port of vinum was made to OpenBSD:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=vinum&q=b

Does anyone have any experience with vinum on FreeBSD? I've yet to get vinum installed on OpenBSD but i'm thinking about running a benchmark against raidframe - supposedly vinum is faster. But the only other things i've heard about it are that a friend of mine couldn't get it working right on FreeBSD, not much to go on.

elmore
May 29th, 2003, 00:41
I've always just use disk concantenation. I looked at vinum a while back for FreeBSD, seemed like it would work well but again for my needs ccd has always done just fine provided you get a good interleave.

frisco
May 29th, 2003, 14:44
In terms of complexity, i'm already afraid of vinum...
[code:1:51aa8c8b4e]
$ uname -a
OpenBSD cavillaca.blackant.net 3.3 GENERIC#0 i386
$ man ccdconfig | wc -l
$ man raidctl | wc -l
$ man vinum | wc -l
[/code:1:51aa8c8b4e]

vinum is almost twice as much manpage as raidctl, and is 20 times as much manpage as ccdconfig!

soup4you2
May 29th, 2003, 17:22
i used vinum on freebsd and i thought it worked great....

as for open... let me know how it is.. if you attempt to try it out..

frisco
June 2nd, 2003, 13:05
I got vinum working on OpenBSD, via tedu's patches. I needed a new kernel (to enable vinum devices), the vinum userland (to use the vinum program) and a new disklabel (to be able to label the partition as 'vinum').

Vinum still feels more complex, but that's probably b/c i'm much more familiar with raidframe. The vinum program is a nice interface into all vinum functionality.

So far i've only used mirror and stripe. I don't have the resources to try anything else, but if i happen to find a couple more drives i'd like to try RAID10 and RAID5. Haven't tested failures either, right now i'm busy benchmarking.