KrUsTy!
June 9th, 2003, 13:21
Okay, here is the background on this, but I decided to move it to a new thread in the FBSD area, cause that's what I'm working on with my ipod,

http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=438

So I notice that gtkpod is now in the FreeBSD ports....

/usr/ports/audio/gtkpod

So someone has this working! Right now when I try to mount my windows ipod, it crashed the FBSD kernel. I'm using FBSD 5.0 and when it crashes the whole computer stops dead. Its really kind of spectatular, I've never been able to lock up a FBSD box like that before. FBSD detects the firewire and ipod devices properly. When I issue the mount command it goes belly up.

Has anyone had any luck with mounting ipods via firewire on FBSD? Maybe I should try this again with FBSD 5.1 when its out...

{K}

socomm
June 9th, 2003, 20:50
Maybe I should try this again with FBSD 5.1 when its out...

Freebie 5.1rc1 has been out for about a week or so, I've heard rumors that is faster than 5.0 and for some reason it does appear faster though that may just be my mind playing tricks on me. Give a try. FBSD-5.1rc1 (ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/5.1-RC1)

soup4you2
June 9th, 2003, 22:13
[quote:0a040532d3="KrUsTy!"]
Maybe I should try this again with FBSD 5.1 when its out...

Freebie 5.1rc1 has been out for about a week or so, I've heard rumors that is faster than 5.0 and for some reason it does appear faster though that may just be my mind playing tricks on me. Give a try. FBSD-5.1rc1 (ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/5.1-RC1)[/quote:0a040532d3]

why go rc1 when it got released

socomm
June 10th, 2003, 10:43
why go rc1 when it got released

Cus my cd burner left a few weeks ago :roll:.

elmore
June 10th, 2003, 10:45
there's always ftp installs. :)

I sorta think that's the way BSD was meant to be installed anyway. ;)

soup4you2
June 10th, 2003, 14:31
2 floppies are all ya need...... open is cooler though they only require 1 floppy...

KrUsTy!
June 12th, 2003, 02:03
So I loaded up FBSD 5.1 today and connected my ipod to it, used the mount command, and it work perfectly! Tthe firewire support has made it into the default kernel.

mount_msdofs /dev/da0s2 /mnt/ipod

So then I went and installed gtkpod (usr/ports/audio/gtkpod), it'is pretty cool, still playing with it but you can load on songs to the ipod, move songs from the ipod to your Hard Drive (which itunes does not do...), make playlists, its pretty cool. Looks to be a compete itunes replacement. Going to use this for a while and let you know what I think.

Great feature in gtkpod is to play songs on your ipod directly via xmms. Just click on them in your list and say "play". Cool...

So My ipod woes are over!

{K}

Strog
June 12th, 2003, 20:28
That's great Krusty!

I'll have to try out my usb mp3 player once I upgrade from STABLE to 5.1. I can get it working but if it turns off and on too much, it will reboot the computer. :(

Maybe I'll have to get an ipod to replace it if not.