Strog
June 18th, 2003, 01:49
I had been playing with fink on OS X and it works pretty good. I know that many people think the Debian packaging tools are better than sliced bread. I think it's good but maybe not all that. Perhaps I'm just spoiled with ports on a solid OS.

I've been hearing quite a bit of mentition of pkgsrc being available outside of NetBSD and decided to look more into it. The first thing I notice on the website (http://www.pkgsrc.org/) is the OSes that it is supporting (Darwin (OS X), FreeBSD, IRIX, Linux, OpenBSD and Solaris (sparc & x86)) besides the obvious NetBSD support. Pkgsrc for those who aren't familiar with NetBSD is just like ports in the other BSD's. It's in /usr/pkgsrc and puts the installed apps in /usr/pkg but otherwise is the familar port way of doing things. I've just started messing with this on an OS X 10.2 box and it makes me feel much better than using fink. We'll see how it goes.

I was talking to Kernel_Killer this afternoon and he mentitioned another ports system that uses freebsd's port on OS X called Darwin Ports(http://elisa.utopianet.net/~rlucia/devel/darwin_ports/). This also looks very nice.

A little more digging turns up another Darwin Ports being released by the www.opendarwin.org people. These are from scratch ports unlike the first two packaging solutions I mentitioned. Jordan Hubbard is heading this up and has Apple's backing so it will likely be the official way to go at some point. There have been patches that are making it into the main source tree to make it portable to other platforms much like pkgsrc.

I originally liked pkgsrc since it has support for IRIX and OS X so I can bring some BSD goodness to my SGI and Mac boxes. I also liked grabbing the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz right off the ftp and going. I like the first Darwin Ports since FreeBSD is my favorite OS and you grab the latest ports right off the ftp or nfs since my FreeBSD boxes are up to date. The Opendarwin Darwin Ports looks very promising and with Jordan heading it up, it's sure to end up a very nice in the end.

So many good choices and none involve Fink.

What are your thoughts on these? :?:

Kernel_Killer
June 18th, 2003, 21:53
I've been using Darwin Ports a bit, but it's not all that fine tuned for OSX. I also tried the I just noticed Fink last night, but didn't get a chance to try it out yet. I also tried out the actual Darwin tree, but wasn't very impressed at all. The ports are limited, and almost useless IMO. Pkgsrc I still haven't been able to use. I've tried to get it working, but didn't try to hard. I'll try to get Fink ready to go here soon.

Strog
June 18th, 2003, 23:56
Have you downloaded the Developer Tools from Apple yet?

Most of the package tools are going to want the tools to run like they are supposed to. They are huge and take up nearly a gig of space when installed.

Crazy!!!

Kernel_Killer
June 19th, 2003, 17:56
Yep. Got the devel tools, and all that good stuff. Just some ports have trouble. A lot of stuff installs fine, but some just spit out errors. I really need to try out Fink. :P

bsdjunkie
June 21st, 2003, 10:22
http://www.metapkg.org/pr-20030620.html