guy
July 1st, 2003, 18:52
Greets all! This is my third post but the first where I admit that I'm new to BSD. I have began to cut my teeth on Free BSD 4.8-STABLE and aside from some frustrating episodes I have to say that I am VERY impressed with this OS.

One thing that has really been confusing me, however, is using cvsup. I decided to give this a try but I knew I was in for trouble as I was not sure what I was doing. I was thinking if anything went wrong I could reinstall, however, I have grown attached to my current install and would prefer to keep it 'alive".

Anyway, the problem is that after configuring my ports-supfile instead of updating things cvsup just starts deleting folders in the ports directory.
I think it might have something to do with the TAGs entry (I used RELENG_4).

Anyway, considering that I'm running 4.8 stable should I even be using cvsup or should I be using a different TAG. Sorry for asking all these questions but I'm really in over my hed on this one . . . any help would be awesome. Thanks for listening guys . . .

soup4you2
July 1st, 2003, 19:03
Try using this skel as your ports-supfile

[code:1:2eac47176b]
*default host=cvsup11.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
*default umask=002
ports-all
[/code:1:2eac47176b]

and here's a cvs-supfile skel for 4.8 since you said thats what your runnin

[code:1:2eac47176b]
*default host=cvsup16.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_8
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
*default umask=002
src-all
[/code:1:2eac47176b]

KrUsTy!
July 2nd, 2003, 01:32
Quick and simple way to setup cvsup of your ports,

http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=221

Once you have your ports tree cvsuping, then you could use portugrade to keep your installed packages/ports up to date like in the article.

{K}

|MiNi0n|
July 2nd, 2003, 13:02
Well, I've just upgraded from 5 to 5.1 and now am giving portuprade a real test. We'll just see how well it handles the jump to 5.1 and the upgrade of some doozy ports like X and KDE :lol:

guy
July 2nd, 2003, 23:13
Thanks a lot guys this all really helped out. All I need now is a bigger hard drive on which to install all those cool apps. :D

soup4you2
July 3rd, 2003, 09:20
Well, I've just upgraded from 5 to 5.1 and now am giving portuprade a real test. We'll just see how well it handles the jump to 5.1 and the upgrade of some doozy ports like X and KDE :lol:

Just a friendly future help... i updated from 5 to 5.1 and things were working great for a little bit... then i started noticing some errors all relating twords libc.so.4 so if you start getting random errors relating with it.. either install the 4x compatability or link libc.so.5 to libc.so.4