bdl
July 31st, 2002, 01:24
I've got a FBSD install here, can never get email working properly on it. I abhor Sendmail and really prefer Exim (I use it on my debian box, it's enough for my purposes); I installed the exim port, got it configured and replaced instances of sendmail under /etc/mail/mailer.conf with the appropriate path to Exim and disabled Sendmail in /etc/rc.conf. No go. I get a few errors on boot regarding an incorrect command, and every mail I send gets frozen. Any tips / ideas? I notice you've got a Postfix HOWTO, and I'm also a fan, but haven't used it in a couple years, may go in that direction if I can't get Exim to work.

BTW, I'm in linux atm or I'd post the error messages. ;-)

elmore
July 31st, 2002, 14:05
:?: I haven't had that much experience with exim myself. I have lots of sendmail and postfix experience. I will say that the mailer.conf has to be exactly right, Also, if you are trying to call exim out of /etc/rc.conf that should probably be changed to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.startup which is where most added startup scripts are called from at boot time these days. Additionally I know in the postfix port on freeBSD after running "make", "make install", I have to run "make replace" to replace sendmail entirely. Like I said I haven't worked with exim that much so I can't say for sure.

I tell you what, Gimmie through the weekend, I've got an extra box at my house I'll be installing FBSD on, Helping revolution in loading BSD, we're getting together on his irc channel and walking through a FBSD install together, Once that's done I'll try loading exim and let you know what I come up with.

I've been wanting to try it out anyway, I've heard some good things. :D

elmore
July 31st, 2002, 14:08
D00d I moved this post here. :D

Just thought it fit in better in this forum.

-elmore-

bdl
July 31st, 2002, 21:31
Thanks very much for your reply and offer of help. I don't know that you need to go to all the trouble to do that, but if you're really interested in getting exim to run on your own machine, by all means. Having said that, you've given me a couple of good tips to go on, I'll try those out and see what flies, I'll post my results as well. Thanks again.