elmore
July 22nd, 2003, 03:00
Anyone configured X11 on a sparc64 platform?

I've got 1.6.1 and cannot figure out how-to configure X, I guessing you need to write the config file by hand as there's no utility available. I'm running 4.3.0 BTW. Any help would be appreciated, in particular a shove towards some good documentation!

KrUsTy!
July 22nd, 2003, 14:11
"XFree86 -configure" doesn't work?

{K}

elmore
July 22nd, 2003, 14:24
XFree86 is a i386 binary, not available on sparc. To the best of my knowledge there is no auto-configuration tool available for X 4.3.0 on a sparc platform.

bsdjunkie
July 23rd, 2003, 11:48
Ive PM'd a guy from our LUG over here about this. He runs Linux on Ultra Sparcs and I know he has gotten Windowmaker running on it. Hopefully Ill have an answer for you. :roll:

bsdjunkie
July 24th, 2003, 12:11
Ok, he says he uses XConfigurator. But i think that is RedHat specific, so your probably still out of luck =P Unless netbsd can run that.

elmore
July 24th, 2003, 13:24
Nope but then again NetBSD doesn't support SMP on specific box yet either. Or at least the second processor doesn't do anything though it is recognized. Think I'm gonna load some ultra-linux on it, though it might be back to solaris real soon. Anyone else have any O.S. suggestions for this box?

soup4you2
July 24th, 2003, 14:02
why dont you give one of the other BSD distro's a try out.... like the new dragonfly or something new... i would like to hear some reviews about them.

bsdjunkie
July 24th, 2003, 15:08
If your going to try a linux on it, use gentoo. Its *BSD like anyways.
Else, if you are more of a PBR drinker and Redhat user, you can try Aurora linux http://www.auroralinux.org/

:wink:

Strog
July 24th, 2003, 15:14
dragonfly won't do much good since it is based off the freebsd4 branch and there wasn't a sparc64 until 5. FreeBSD 5.x is supposed to have SMP support working pretty good on Sparc64.

Looks like either FreeBSD 5, Linux or Solaris if SMP is a deal breaker. It looks like NetBSD has SMP going on sparc but not sparc64.

elmore
July 24th, 2003, 15:38
ONly problem with FreeBSD is that I don't think they have an X port for sparc64 yet and it is a bitch to install, since you have to use the serial cable. Well maybe that's just the lazy part of me, still, I think I might give FreeBSD a try and Gentoo possibly.

frisco
July 24th, 2003, 17:23
Have you tried googling for a working XF86Config file for 4.3.0 and the video card you have? When i have X troubles on other platforms, google comes through (though often times i need to alter some stuff).

OpenBSD 3.3 on sparc64 has xf86cfg and xf86config sparc64 binaries, though i've never used them (all my sparc's run headless) and it's 4.2.0, not 4.3.0.

OpenBSD -current uses X 4.3.0, perhaps using that you'll be able to generate an XF86Config file that will work.