buebo
July 25th, 2003, 15:19
Hi,
some Friends asked me to share some Files with FTP so they could access them from the Outside, but since my FTP-Server is not running on my Gateway and I have just a single IP-Adress I would have to redirect a bunch of Ports to the Server-Machine, wich is something I don't like and the FTP-Protocoll is in general kind of bitchy to setup behind NAT. Not to mention the Plaintext Passwords.
Now I'm searching for a Server that handles FTP-Style for the Clients and has Client-Programms for Windows, Mac and Unix available, Features I would really like to see are encryption and the use of very few Ports.
Any Suggestions?

buebo

bsdjunkie
July 25th, 2003, 15:29
SecureFTP

Comes with OpenSSH and there are all kinds of clients for it.

buebo
July 25th, 2003, 15:32
Sorry, i forgot one important feature. It should support chroot, meaning that it should support giving user just acces to their own root-directory, not that it has to run in a chroot.

soup4you2
July 25th, 2003, 15:57
Sorry, i forgot one important feature. It should support chroot, meaning that it should support giving user just acces to their own root-directory, not that it has to run in a chroot.

once again OpenSSH

strog pointed me to a port called scponly which chroots the sftp daemon to a users home directory..

Strog
July 25th, 2003, 16:05
I've been using scponly shell and I love it. It's a user shell that only allows scp/sftp access. There's a script for setting up the users and chrooting them to their home directory. It's found in FreeBSD ports (/usr/ports/shells/scponly/work/scponly-*/setup-chroot.sh.). They can only write to their incoming directory. http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

I've found a nice cli client that supports sftp, tab completion and other niceties. It's also in FreeBSD ports. Yafc http://yafc.sourceforge.net/

There's WinSCP, psftp, pscp, etc. for windows clients and gftp is a nice *nix client.

buebo
July 25th, 2003, 16:09
I gotta have a look on this, it sounds like exactly the thing I want!
One last question: does Supports Symlinks in a chrooted way?
Like I put a symlink in the ~ of a user, and he can't get out of the linked Directory because it appears to be under his homedir?
(My english is a little weird today)

buebo