p-chan
August 5th, 2003, 00:00
Since it seems 99% of the time I'me using my laptop the first thing I type is startx it makes sense to me to just have it start x when it boots so I only have to log in once. Yes I am a little lazy. I enabled ttyv8 as per the bsd faq and x loads up when it boots fine, but it uses the awful default window manager. How do I get it to start with kde instead?

andy

Kernel_Killer
August 5th, 2003, 01:20
add 'startx' into your rc.conf file.

KrUsTy!
August 5th, 2003, 02:21
Why not use xdm or kdm? This boot ups your X and provides a login screen.

Just need to put a shell script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to execute the dm of your choice on boot-up. I like kdm quite a bit.

To try it out, just type kdm instead of startx.

{K}

p-chan
August 5th, 2003, 09:50
Ah, kdm was the answer I was looking for. It works great now. I do have one question though? Can it use apm to turn off the computer when it shuts down, similar to shutdown -p?

andy

soup4you2
August 5th, 2003, 10:14
the proper way would be

edit your /etc/ttys

look for:

[code:1:67ea7fd7dc]
ttyv8 "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm off secure
[/code:1:67ea7fd7dc]

change it to

[code:1:67ea7fd7dc]
ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm" xterm on secure
[/code:1:67ea7fd7dc]

you could also still use the xdm display manager.. you just need a .xsession in your home directory telling xdm to load kde when you login..

elmore
August 5th, 2003, 11:02
the proper way would be

edit your /etc/ttys

Soup is correct this is the way the handbook states to do this, though I do like just adding a startup script to /usr/local/etc/rc.d for the simple reason that it makes it easy to get back to a console interface quickly if I ever need one.

p-chan
August 5th, 2003, 11:57
I figured out how to make it power off the pc. I probalby should have looked in the kdmrc script in the first place, but I assume knowing to do that will just come with practice. Its working great now thanks for the help.

andy