jedaffra
August 8th, 2003, 11:20
I'm trying to find out what the minimum amount of disk space required for a freebsd install. So far I havent had any luck.

I'm attempting a dual boot scenario on a dell inspiron 7500 laptop that has a 4.5 GB HD. I need to run another os *cough* for my boss, but I also want to run FreeBSD for me.

Will 1.5-2.0 GB partition for FBSD be large enough to be of any real value?

Thanks,

v902
August 8th, 2003, 11:46
Yeah, I have an install with X and fluxbox and nmap (hallelujah), yeah, 1.5-2 gigs is fine, I believe my current OBSD partition is a full install with fluxbox and what not and it's 600-700 megs

bsdjunkie
August 8th, 2003, 11:51
I dont know about freebsd, But ive done installs of Open in under 200 megs on sparcs.

Strog
August 8th, 2003, 11:58
If you want to compile a lot of stuff on it ( e.g. KDE, Gnome, OO, etc.) then you might want access to some space out on a nfs box. Either that or stick with pkg_add. If you are going a little more minimal/conservative then you should be able to compile without to much trouble.

jedaffra
August 8th, 2003, 12:59
I dont know about freebsd, But ive done installs of Open in under 200 megs on sparcs.

Yeah, I've got Open installed on a 500 meg drive with /home installed on second 500 meg drive. But that box is strictly firewall/router with nothing else installed.

I would like to run at least X on this FBSD laptop. I hope 1.5GB will be enough :roll: