coltrane
August 9th, 2003, 18:19
I was reading random FreeBSD conversation on IRC this morning while configuring Samba 2.4 on FreeBSD 5.1, and there was a random discussion about how using ports is the lazy way out.

Was that sarcasm? You use the right tools for the job, isnt that job of the Administrator? L33t1sm or not, I thought that a very odd statement to make.

Compiling of Galeon has now reach an hour.....

v902
August 9th, 2003, 18:28
Depends, for large ports on small hard drives, get packages, you have no room for the ports tree/object files... etc. Create your own software, we should an S&M forum just for that :twisted: I have a large FreeBSD partition but I still use packages sometiems for mozilla/GTK etc. I have no time, other times you need to compile because you need to add compile time option... Depends on the situation...

soup4you2
August 9th, 2003, 20:06
i prefer ports... although it's more time consuming.. at least you know you have the latest version

Kernel_Killer
August 10th, 2003, 03:44
Ports all the way. Like soup gotta have that fresh stuff. Even with a small HDD, I think I would still go for portage rather than pkg_add. Yeah GGaleon takes it's time. I notcied Firebird likes to do the same, if not longer. :P

Prodigy
August 10th, 2003, 03:58
I have small hdd and i'm using ports, because when i'm trying to do pkg_add -r <package>, i'm always getting error: "Operation timed out". Maybe somebody knows, where the problem is? Maybe it's my internet connection too slow?

ealwen
August 10th, 2003, 22:32
The ports are what make FreeBSD my favorite. Saying the ports are the lazy way out is like saying you should walk to the gas station with gas cans to fill up your car instead of driving your car to the pump. Sure you can do it but its a lot more work with a lot more chances for hassles.

As for the guy saying it was lazy did you ask him why he was being lazy for using a computer?

dave
August 27th, 2003, 20:49
Ports are all good depending on the way you've partitioned your disk(s). Found I had them eating up all my inodes on a box where i'd given the /usr partition a tad over a gig and had other things in there filling it up. Ended up having to delete ports to recompile the kernal then reinstalled them afterwards but removed the language support ports to free up space, seems to be the safest compromise without having to alter my partitions.

soup4you2
August 27th, 2003, 20:52
i've learned to give /usr /var and /home a nice sized partition...

all 3 tend to fill up pretty fast..

hugh nicks
August 27th, 2003, 21:26
i've learned to give /usr /var and /home a nice sized partition...

on one of my 40GB drives, /usr has 25 of them.

hn

AVL
September 30th, 2003, 15:46
I build the port on one computer, create a package of my installed version with pkg_create, then use my own package on the other computers.

soup4you2
September 30th, 2003, 16:22
I build the port on one computer, create a package of my installed version with pkg_create, then use my own package on the other computers.

you could have a ports dir on 1 system and create a nfs export for the others.. then when you install your ports instead of make install run make package and your custom packages are in /usr/ports/packages :)

AVL
October 1st, 2003, 07:32
I use that internally, but most of the computers are not exactly in the same network :) (as in: they are at different customers' sites).