Tripwire
August 13th, 2003, 06:39
I have recently installed FreeBSD 5.1, and was relieved at the easy install. Up to the xf86Config part, then my life became hell. I have made sure that all is entered as expected by FreeBSD, but each time I go startx, I get "(EE) No devices detected." followed by:

Fatal server error:
no screens fund

Now I know I will have of the world laughing at this point :oops: but I really need some help on this one.

Strog
August 13th, 2003, 10:16
What kind of video card is this??

Does it show up in the dmesg at all?

|MiNi0n|
August 13th, 2003, 11:04
Did you use the XFree86 -configure command to generate your XF86Config file?

That works well in most cases. After that, ensure that the horizontal and vert refresh rates of your monitor are in the conf file.

Tripwire
August 15th, 2003, 06:00
It's an Ati Rage 128, I took the default in the screen card diver database during my install. I used both Xfree86 and xf86config for the config, and I also used the used the spec given by the monitor manufacture for the screen info. Still no joy!

Kernel_Killer
August 18th, 2003, 01:15
Run xf86cfg -textmode, and go down the list of what to setup. When you get to the video card setup, just choose the closest ATI card (Not sure if it really matters anyways, since they all use the 'ati' driver), after doing the others, make sure to setup your screen. It's the one right before "Write to XF86Config File". If you still have errors, watch for the lines with (EE) on the left, and post them here.

Tripwire
August 18th, 2003, 04:18
:D Thanks all, I have managed to get this sucker sorted. Much obliged for the responses.