tarballed
August 21st, 2003, 13:12
Was just curious if anyone who uses postfix as setup their mail server to use SASL or TSL or both?

I'm taking a lot at it right now to see if it is something I want to implement.
Looks like it could be a pretty good thing to do.

Anyone care to share comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

Tarballed

tarballed
August 21st, 2003, 14:30
Someone correct me if im wrong...but the way I understand it is that, the implementation of SASL works in conjunction with SMTP AUTH....which gives me the ability to allow any of my remote or mobile users to be able to send email through my smtp server, correct?

If I dont have any mobile or remote users, there really would not be any need for me to setup SMTP AUTH, correct?

But at the same time, I would like to setup some sort of method so when my users check and send email, nothing is sent clear text, but instead sent in some sort of encrypted fashion...

That sound about right?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Tarballed

|MiNi0n|
August 21st, 2003, 15:11
You're correct about SMTP AUTH. It can be quite useful internally though to help keep spoofed mail's etc to a minimum.

As for encryption, you want TLS yes.

~S~

tarballed
August 21st, 2003, 15:14
Thanks Minion....sounds good to me.

I may be wrong, but Postfix needs to be setup with the capability to use SASL, correct? Same with TLS?

My assumption is that my postfix was not compiled with support for SASL...so, since this particular software was installed via RPM (I know, I know...im realizing what a pain in the ass RPM's are...) I need to figure out a way to recompile it...

As far as TLS is concerend, I need to setup a certificate server of some sort, correct?

Pretty fun...I have my hands full lately...Brain is getting swollen right now...hehehe

Tarballed

tarballed
August 21st, 2003, 15:39
Hmm....check this out:

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/mel/SASL_ClientRef.html

Im not sure if this is up to date, but this shows a list of what clients support SMTP AUTH...

Most clients here use Eudora. However, I was going to use either Netscape or Mozilla for mail usage...

ANyone know of those will work? Or where I can find an updated list of clients support?

Tarballed

|MiNi0n|
August 21st, 2003, 16:25
Yup they sure do. Mozilla/Netscape mail client is easily one of the best ones out there right now.

Handles IMAP beautifully and does SMTP auth etc.

tarballed
August 21st, 2003, 16:44
Thanks Minion... I appreciate it...

Im not the process now of wrestling with this Red Hat server and it is really starting to piss me off!!

Well, I know I can migrate my users over to Netscape/Mozilla, but if I have to keep them on Eudora, that should not pose a problem, should it?

Back to restling with RH!

Tarballed

|MiNi0n|
August 21st, 2003, 16:55
Eudora supports auth, but last time I used it for IMAP it really blew.