jedaffra
August 28th, 2003, 22:37
Hey everyone,

I've finally gotten around to installing X. It looks like it was successful. My keyboard/mouse work and I'm viewing at 1024x768 (which my monitor can handle no problem). When I ctrl-alt-backspace I notice I have a couple of errors. One talks about broken pipes. Anyway, are these errors logged to a file somewhere that I can copy and post here to get more info?

Thanks,

frisco
August 28th, 2003, 22:40
Try /var/log/XFree86.0.log

v902
August 28th, 2003, 22:41
Should be /var/log/XF* Check out the listing you get, usually 'grep'ing for EE returns errors but someone might want to back me up as I'm not X god...

EDIT: Damn it frisco, 30 seconds ahead of me...

jedaffra
August 28th, 2003, 22:45
Damn it frisco, 30 seconds ahead of me...

lol, thank you Both :wink: I'll take a look and get back to you in a minute...

jedaffra
August 28th, 2003, 23:11
Hmmm...

When I exit fvwm, i get this:
DATE TIME HOSTNAME /BSD: pckbc: cmd failed
I'm not sure but I don't think X likes the keypad (numbers) on my keyboard? This is totally a guess. Anyone have an answer to this one?
I also get this:
cat: /root/.Xauthority: Permission DeniedI have no clue what's causing this error.

I checked /var/log/XFree86.0.log but found nothing that resembles any kind of error...

And by the way, what's the difference between xterm and xconsole in X?

Thanks

v902
August 28th, 2003, 23:12
What are the perms on /root/.Xauthority? You aren't in /root but rather in $HOME when you're starting X right (or are you root?)

jedaffra
August 28th, 2003, 23:27
Ahh well, as I just got obsd installed on this box 30 minutes ago, I'm running as root. I've yet to set up a regular user...

v902
August 28th, 2003, 23:34
try making it 700... That solves all of lifes problems :D

https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2001-March/msg01049.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2001-March/msg01072.html

Any help?

And shame, you should always ahve another user, I once set up X as root and man when I started using it as a user it had all types of problems with perms etc... :o

jedaffra
August 28th, 2003, 23:40
And shame, you should always ahve another user, I once set up X as root and man when I started using it as a user it had all types of problems with perms etc... :o

Yes, I know I deserved that and knew it was coming... :wink:

Thanks for the links on console vs term. It's late and I'm packin it in for tonight. I'll check back tomorrow with a couple more beginner level questions.

Cheers

v902
August 28th, 2003, 23:42
[quote:23090ad098="Vlad902"]And shame, you should always ahve another user, I once set up X as root and man when I started using it as a user it had all types of problems with perms etc... :o

Yes, I know I deserved that and knew it was coming... :wink: [/quote:23090ad098]

I do it because I love you... Wait, love means hate horibly right?! :P

Thanks for the links on console vs term. It's late and I'm packin it in for tonight. I'll check back tomorrow with a couple more beginner level questions.

Cheers

Alright man, I hope they helped :) It's good to see you around Jed, I noticed you dropped off the face of the Earth for a while there...

jedaffra
August 30th, 2003, 23:03
I once set up X as root and man when I started using it as a user it had all types of problems with perms etc... :o
I was under the impression that X has to be configured by root? Am I wrong? Can X be setup as a regular user using sudo? :? :? :?

v902
August 30th, 2003, 23:44
I set up X as a user (Well compiled/installed as root) and I only used sudo to move XF86Config to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 (I think that's the path, damn it's long :))

|MiNi0n|
August 30th, 2003, 23:56
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11

/etc/X11 usually.

Configure it as root as Vlad says, then startx etc. via another user being best practice :)

v902
August 31st, 2003, 00:06
|MiNi0n| I said configure it as a user and then just sudo mv it :D

|MiNi0n|
August 31st, 2003, 00:11
So you did :lol:

v902
August 31st, 2003, 00:16
How many pints you been drinking? :P I usually just alias startx to startx --location (or whatever the hell the option is)=~/X And when it starts working I tweak it a little and mv it... And then the screwing of my system beigns :D

jedaffra
August 31st, 2003, 00:37
[quote:3bcfc9ec39="Vlad902"]/usr/X11R6/lib/X11

/etc/X11 usually.

Configure it as root as Vlad says, then startx etc. via another user being best practice :)[/quote:3bcfc9ec39]

Ok, i set up X as root, ran it as root, then did adduser (gave user wheel access) and logged into the new user - but startx gives an error.

[code:1:3bcfc9ec39]$ sh: startx: not found[/code:1:3bcfc9ec39]

should I have used sudo to copy the X config file to /etc/X11 instead of doing it from root? Not sure why startx doesnt work for the new user???

And thanks!

v902
August 31st, 2003, 01:19
it's not in your $PATH, run a whereis startx and run /blah/blah/blah/startx or put /blah/blah/blah in your $PATH, in bash you can do this by:

$PATH = $PATH:/blah/blah/blah
export PATH

With *csh you use setenv and I'm not familiar with it...

EDIT: I haven't tried but:

setenv $PATH $PATH:/blah/blah/blah

should work.

frisco
August 31st, 2003, 13:47
$PATH = $PATH:/blah/blah/blah
export PATH

With *csh you use setenv and I'm not familiar with it...

EDIT: I haven't tried but:

setenv $PATH $PATH:/blah/blah/blah

The first should not have a $. In other words:

for sh/ksh/bash:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin

for csh/tcsh:
setenv PATH $PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin

Otherwise your shell will interpret both occurences of $PATH. That is, if PATH is set to "/usr/bin:/bin" and you run
$PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin
then the shell will interpret it as you doing:
/usr/bin:/bin=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
And that won't work.

After you think you've set your variable, it's always helpful to check with:
echo $PATH

can save you hours of frustration while you slowly realise you set $PTH intead of $PATH.

jedaffra
August 31st, 2003, 22:18
Ok here's another thing I don't get:

As root I ran chpass on my regular user so that I could change their shell from /bin/sh to /bin/csh

I logged out and logged in as my regular user and it said this:

[code:1:8285db4274]She's genuinely honest
'hostname': 'username' {1}[/code:1:8285db4274]

so I log out and log back in as my regular user and it said this:
[code:1:8285db4274]"What does 'It' mean when they ask, "what time is it"?"
'hostname': 'username' {2}[/code:1:8285db4274]

What's up with the crazy quotes???

v902
August 31st, 2003, 22:31
I know sudo has crazy quotes... Never heard of those...