jedaffra
September 5th, 2003, 11:03
I'd like to install GNOME from packages on FTP. Out of the 14 or so gnome*.tgz packages on ftp.openbsd.org, anyone know which one should be installed first. If I had to guess I would say it's gnome-core-1.4.0.6

z0mbix
September 5th, 2003, 12:22
If you set PKG_PATH you can just start with gnome-core and it should grab all it's dependencies. From the openbsd.org/port.html:

Adding a package is as easy as pkg_add pkgname.tgz. If you are grabbing packages from a single source (a package repository), set PKG_PATH to that repository URL, in order to grab dependencies.

For instance, to install the Gimp package for the 3.2 release on an i386 machine off the ftp site (including dependencies), do:

# setenv PKG_PATH ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.2/packages/i386/
# pkg_add ${PKG_PATH}gimp-1.2.3.tgz

jedaffra
September 6th, 2003, 17:27
If you set PKG_PATH you can just start with gnome-core and it should grab all it's dependencies. From the openbsd.org/port.html:

Adding a package is as easy as pkg_add pkgname.tgz. If you are grabbing packages from a single source (a package repository), set PKG_PATH to that repository URL, in order to grab dependencies.

For instance, to install the Gimp package for the 3.2 release on an i386 machine off the ftp site (including dependencies), do:

# setenv PKG_PATH ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.2/packages/i386/
# pkg_add ${PKG_PATH}gimp-1.2.3.tgz

Thanks z0mbix - I've got it installed, now how do I start the thing. I've tried google but havent had any luck...

elmore
September 6th, 2003, 17:46
well you need to create a .xinitrc file in your home.

and then add and exec line. I'm not sure what it is for gnome but for fluxbox I have the following in my .xinitrc

exec fluxbox

for kde I think it's

exec startkde

try

exec gnome-session

that might be it for gnome but it's been a while since I;ve used it.

z0mbix
September 6th, 2003, 18:40
Yeah, Elmore's correct, it's exec gnome-session