tarballed
September 17th, 2003, 22:26
Was curious if anyone has setup spamassassin (using spamd) on their postfix box.

Right now, im having a hard time getting spamassassin and postfix to 'gel' together...

Been tweaking a few files, but I cant seem to get it to work the way I want...

Anyone done a similar setup?

Tarballed

elmore
September 17th, 2003, 22:35
I believe |MiNi0n| wrote a how-to on this a while back might want to go look for it. I'm running spamd on my OpenBSD mail gateway and it works well.

tarballed
September 17th, 2003, 22:36
Elmore,

How did you setup postfix? Did you point to any scripts?
For instance, of course their is the usual scanning of incoming emails, but did you use any other scripts, like a reinjector?

Or did you just set it up in master.cf?

I think my problem is im trying to be too fancy...

Mind if I ask what your setup was like?

Tarballed

tarballed
September 17th, 2003, 22:42
Ok...let me share a few notes:

What I did was create a user called spam, with a home directory of /var/spam

I added a few lines into master.cf to to tell postfix where to filter the mails through...

One problem I was having is a mail loop. I've not set something up correctly and like I said, I think im being a bit to fancy...

So what im trying to figure out is how to simplify this so when mail comes it, it gets passed through SA and once completed, relayed to my mail server...

Tarballed

elmore
September 17th, 2003, 22:42
Ummm, I can't remember though I think I just set it up in the main.cf and piped it to procmail.

Don't quote me on that.

soup4you2
September 17th, 2003, 22:44
i believe there are a total of 3 howto's on this site on setting up spamassasin for postfix plus if you want to add in virus scanning install amavisd-new it includes spamassasin with the package

tarballed
September 17th, 2003, 22:44
Ahh...ok...your using procmail...

I dont have that setup on my mail gateway, but I guess I could quickly set it up...

I added a line like so in master.cf:

[code:1:aa0797f2ba]spamfilter unix - n n - - pipe flags=Rq user=spam argv=/usr/local/bin/spamfilter.sh ${sender}${recipient}
[/code:1:aa0797f2ba]

Hmm...

T.

elmore
September 17th, 2003, 22:53
hmmm, like I said I think there are several how-to's that cover this on here. Postfix is one of things I don't have to think or worry about much 'cause it just runs, once it's tuned up I can forget about it, in particular what I did to get x, y, z feature to work. That's why I wrote up my how-to. ;)

Check the how-to's out and you you have a problem with 'em we'll go from there.

soup4you2
September 17th, 2003, 22:58
Arr.. Minions howto is Outstanding... so outstanding i put it into my howto....

Verry good job minion.. if i never told you before which i think i have..

tarballed
September 19th, 2003, 13:38
Ok...figured out my problem. :)

Just out of curiosity, what is the general concensus about using Razor?
I really dont have much knowledge about using razor, only heard tid bits about it...

What would I want to use it?
What are the drawbacks?

Also, I'm going to do a write up (already have it mostly documented) on my setup.

What my setup does is:

Postfix and SA on a mail gateway.
All incoming mail is piped through SA for scanning and tagged accordingly.
If email is tagged is spam, it is then relayed to the mail server to a specific user for viewing. Reason I decided to do this is because I want as little stuff on my mail gateway as possible. So I chose to set it up to forward all email...

Im working on a few goodies as well. Hopefully, someone can benefit from it.

Tarballed

elmore
September 19th, 2003, 14:06
Well you've come a long way tarballed it seems like just the other day you were posting on how to even install OpenBSD. Now look at you. Congrats!

tarballed
September 19th, 2003, 14:19
Thanks elmore... I appreciate the compliment.

Sometimes, you just need to bare down and go for it...sometimes I try to get to fancy or finesse things...but I make my best progress when I just go for it.

I'll put up my notes when im done... :)