bk
September 24th, 2003, 01:12
Hi everyone.

I'm having problems and I'm not sure what to do. Opera is my browser of choice. I swear by it and cannot use anything else. The problem is it dies with "Segmentation Fault" after a short time. I have no idea how to begin to troubleshoot this problem. Could this have something to do with bad network settings? This brings me to my other problem...

When I installed FBSD I tried the "DHCP Configuration" of my d-link dfe-530tx+ (the driver is installed properly and the card is recognized). I have a cable modem and do not have a static ip. It appears to work correctly except that it sets my hostname to (what I believe is) the MAC address of my nic. I can ping out after that and have internet connection. I can make the hostname whatever I want, and still connect. But after I'm done in KDE, I exit, scroll up to view the X messages and see "Cannot get own hostname, your system is severly misconfigured." Other window managers have similar messages, and programs have problems from time to time. Is there something I didn't configure that I should have?

Which brings me to my last question. How do you go about successfully troubleshooting problems in BSD when you're so new to it. I have had my face buried in books for quite awhile absorbing everything I can, yet can't do some of the simplest things, like troubleshoot a program that crashed. There's a steep learning curve here. It seems that you're either a neophyte or a god.

Anyhow, I hope I haven't missed any obvious documentation. If I have and you post it, it'll be enough for me.

Thanks,

bk

btw: i'm running FBSD 5.1-Release

soup4you2
September 24th, 2003, 09:15
can you post the exact error it's outputting..

bk
September 24th, 2003, 12:37
Opera dies with:
x1-6-00-40-05-10-5c-c3# opera
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
x1-6-00-40-05-10-5c-c3#

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling, but I installed from the cd and not the port, so I don't know how to uninstall it.

The X message I see after I exit KDE and scroll up is "Cannot get own hostname, your system is severely misconfigured." That is the extent of my error messages.

I thought it might have something to do with my hostname being set to the mac address of my card. That doesn't seem correct? If I do "hostname whatever" I still have connection.

bk

elmore
September 24th, 2003, 12:47
The moved to ports and packages. :wink:

optyk
September 24th, 2003, 12:56
try changing your /etc/hosts file to fix the hostname problem.
add a line with

127.0.0.1 <hostname.youwant.here> <hostname>

read the pkg_delete manpage to learn about package deletion.

bk
September 24th, 2003, 13:23
That seemed to get rid of the "severely misconfigured" error message, thank you.

I installed opera directly from the cd. I didn't realize I could make deinstall from ports if it was installed from the cd.

I apologize for my post. heh. I should have done some more experiementing on my own. *pokes self with sharp implement*

Anyway, thanks for the help.

bk

elmore
September 24th, 2003, 13:43
np bk, thaat's what we're here for.

soup4you2
September 24th, 2003, 13:49
We would get pretty bored if we just sat around making fun of elmore's beer choice..

though i think that could go on for awhile..

bk
September 25th, 2003, 12:51
I still seem to be having trouble with Opera. After a few minutes of browsing opera dies with a core dump. This is after uninstalling, updating my ports tree, and reinstalling.

Does anyone else use Opera and have experience with this? Anyone know of a reason why this is happening? A few other people seem to be having this problem but I haven't seen any solutions yet..

Could Opera be having a problem with FBSD 5.1?

bk

soup4you2
September 25th, 2003, 12:56
Sorry.. I use Firebird and Lynx

bk
September 29th, 2003, 17:03
http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=389

and on occasion get the overwhelming desier to piss on opera.

lol soup, what's wrong with opera?

/doesnt know better

soup4you2
September 29th, 2003, 17:47
http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=389

and on occasion get the overwhelming desier to piss on opera.

lol soup, what's wrong with opera?

/doesnt know better

Something about browsers that put ads on it kinda erks me.. If i wanted to look at ads i'd install some spyware or gator on my work pc.

bk
September 29th, 2003, 18:14
yeah, it's definitely an annoyance... but it's not exactly spyware. and you could always *buy* it. you guys are spoiled. :D i'm only just beginning to comprehend that "make install clean" will get you just about any software you could want for free.

plus mozilla and firebird just seem to klunk on my machine. i dunno, it's just personal preference, i guess?

soup4you2
September 29th, 2003, 19:12
i've had nothing but outstanding luck with firebird.. mozilla on the other hand annoys me because it takes waaaay to long to compile and there's a new version constantly.. it's almost as bad as compiling KDE.

AVL
September 30th, 2003, 15:44
What version of Opera are you running? Can you pinpoint exactly when the crash occurs?

bk
October 2nd, 2003, 01:51
What version of Opera are you running? Can you pinpoint exactly when the crash occurs?

it was happening on opera7.20b12, and seemed to occur mainly on redirects, but could happen at anytime while browsing. i've since installed the latest port, and with b13 it doesn't seem to be happening anymore...

have you run into this problem too?

btw: soup, you weren't kidding. i just finished updating kde. that took HOURS.

AVL
October 2nd, 2003, 12:53
it was happening on opera7.20b12, and seemed to occur mainly on redirects, but could happen at anytime while browsing. i've since installed the latest port, and with b13 it doesn't seem to be happening anymore...

have you run into this problem too?

These are beta versions, so yes, they occasionally crash. It's very important to know if you have a reproducable crash, so that it can be reported at Opera, and they can fix it :). BTW, I'm the maintainer of the Opera port on FreeBSD.

bk
October 7th, 2003, 02:01
i posted to the opera forums but never got a response. you get the feeling like they're understaffed and overworked. but yeah the newest beta is working great for me. i'm going to buy it if they ever get flash and java kickin.

keep up the good work man!