jedaffra
October 7th, 2002, 16:11
I like to add another nic to my bsd machine, without having to wipe and re-install. I'd appreciate a push in the right direction :?

Thanks,

elmore
October 7th, 2002, 17:32
I don't really see why you'd need to reinstall just to add another nic. just simply add the supported nic card into your machine and reboot. When your machine comes back up login and do the following.

ifconfig -a

this will help you identify your new nic name. for instance, fxp1 would most likely be your new nic if you have two intel cards.

make a new file in /etc called hostname.fxp1

add the following to it.

192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 NONE

reboot and your done.

The only other thing I can see that you might have to do is to make the new device when you install it, that can be done pretty easily just run:

dmesg | more

look for your device, then,

/dev/MAKEDEV /dev/<devicename>

reboot

although I'm pretty sure if you add a supported nic with the generic kernel you won't need to do this. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

bsdjunkie
October 7th, 2002, 23:46
Just about any NIC out there should work fine with a default kernel.

jedaffra
October 8th, 2002, 08:12
I appreciate your responses. I find that questions like mine demonstrate knowledge that can be difficult to find on openbsd.org

Just my newbie POV.

Cheers,

elmore
October 8th, 2002, 10:11
Yeah I suppose you right. Then again that's why we're here. Have fun! :D

frisco
October 8th, 2002, 15:55
if you add a card which uses the same driver as an existing card, you may encounter problems as the new card may grab the device previously assigned to the original card.
that is, lets say you have an xl0 in your system, and you add another xl card. depending on where you add it, the new card may be assigned xl0 and the old card assigned xl1, so your existing config files will need to be changed.

sometimes adding a card can cause irq conflicts which will prevent other cards from showing up.
i had this happen with ISA cards, solved it by separating the nic cards (leaving an empty slot between them). you can solve this other ways, like by defining what irq for what card, or setting jumpers on the card, etc, depending on the card(s).

before adding the card, write down all the info concerning your cards (or save a copy of your existing /var/run/dmesg.boot) and take note of your dmesg after you add the new card.
then you can compare/contrast to make sure which device is which card in your new setup.

everything in http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html will help you set up your networking.

good luck

jedaffra
October 9th, 2002, 08:42
...before adding the card, write down all the info concerning your cards (or save a copy of your existing /var/run/dmesg.boot) and take note of your dmesg after you add the new card.
then you can compare/contrast to make sure which device is which card in your new setup...

It's all about quality around here. Much appreciated.